African Development Bank (AfDB) Group’s mission is to help reduce poverty, improve living conditions for Africans and mobilize resources for the continent’s economic and social development. With this objective in mind, the institution aims at assisting African countries – individually and collectively – in their efforts to achieve sustainable economic development and social progress.
Combating poverty is at the heart of the continent’s efforts to attain sustainable economic growth. To this end, the Bank seeks to stimulate and mobilize internal and external resources to promote investments as well as provide its regional member countries with technical and financial assistance.
- Position title: Young Professional Program 2011
- Grade: NA
- Position N°: NA
- Reference: NA
- Publication date: 11/04/2011
- Closing date: 14/05/2011
The YPP targets motivated and talented young professionals under thirty-two (32) years of age, who are committed to making a difference on the African continent and who will spend between two (2) and three (3) years of their professional career in a multicultural, and professionally stimulating environment at the African Development Bank.
The Bank seeks individuals skilled in the areas relevant to its operations, such as infrastructure, regional integration, health, education, agriculture, climate change and environment, gender, finance and risk management, governance and private sector development.
The Bank hires approximately twenty (20) young professionals each year. These YPs complete yearly rotational assignments in different organizational units and sectors in the Bank, during a minimum of two and maximum of three rotational assignments.
Duties and responsibilities
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
The following established eligibility requirements guide the recruitment of the Young Professionals, and at no time will the Bank make an exception for any candidate:
- Citizen of a member country (regional or non-regional) of the AfDB
- A maximum of 32 years of age by December 31st of the selection year
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or equivalent in Economics, Engineering, Social Sciences, International Development, Business Administration, Finance, Banking or any discipline that is relevant to the business of the Bank
- Multi-disciplinary background and a minimum of three years relevant work experience
- Outstanding academic credentials
- Demonstrated commitment to African development (field experience on the continent and/or in other developing countries is an added advantage)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English or French with a working knowledge of the other language (working knowledge of a third language that is relevant to the Bank’s operation in the African continent is an advantage)
- Ability/motivation to work in a multicultural work environment
- Demonstrated leadership potential
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills, dynamism, results-orientation, and problem-solving capability
Features of the Program
The program mandates completion of two (2) out of three (3) yearly rotations with a possibility of securing a regular staff position during the third term of the program. Additionally, the program affords coaching and mentoring opportunities for each Young Professional.
The 1st rotational assignment will be a ‘stretch’ or ‘learning’ rotation, responsive to the Bank’s needs and priorities. It is intended to provide exposure to the Bank’s various departmental and developmental programs and processes. Individual work programs should reflect on-the-job learning that is central to the YPP.
Where possible, the 2nd rotational assignment should take place in the area of expertise or organizational unit in which the YP hopes to remain for the mid to long term if selected on a competitive basis. The work program should provide a suitable bridge between the development focus of the 1st rotation and the specialist nature of the 2nd rotation and the level of responsibility required in a higher level position.
As required by their work programs, and at the request of the organizational unit hosting the rotation, YPs are expected to participate in missions and assignments in Field Offices for a certain period of time.
Young Professional Program 2011