DEPARTMENT: Health, Safety and Environmental
Since the day that Hotazel Manganese Mines adopted its new strategy our HSE focus has shifted to simpler, better and faster. We seek a proactive and energetic individual whose main role will be to develop, implement and verify Health and Hygiene processes that will enable the core processes to operate risk free and realize its inspirational goal of ZERO HARM. Your scope of work will range from conducting workplace inspections, investigations to identifying root causes within business processes and developing systemic solutions to eliminate reoccurrence. Although you’re key area of expertise will be in mining/engineering Health and Hygiene you will also be required to demonstrate competency in Safety and/or Environmental practices. You will also ensure conformance to HSE and other applicable Legislation, OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001 standards by implementing the required HSE systems at all levels in the organisation through risk assessment exercises, performance verification audits, conducting management reviews to obtain and maintain effective systems management.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- 5 years underground mining experience
- Practical Certificate in Mine Environmental Control
- Intermediate Certificate in Mine Environmental Control
- Certificate in Mine Environmental Control or studying towards one will be an advantage.
- Qualification in Radiation protection
- Computer literate, Strong systems back ground, knowledge of Microsoft packages
- (Intermediate skills level in MS Packages – Excel, PowerPoint and Word)
• Expert knowledge and understanding of safety management systems and HSEC related legislation.
• Personally, your core competencies and experience will be Leadership, Building and Maintaining Relationships, Continuous Improvement, Cross Functional Awareness, Drive for Results, Objective Setting and Control and Commercial Awareness.
- Medically fit to work underground or in an open cast mining environment.
- Code EB driver’s license (code 08).
Key Performance Areas:
- Communicates, implement and maintain and improve systems to achieve the objectives of the H&H- HSEC management programme in your section
- Conduct coaching sessions to ensure that all employees are actively involved and participate in the HSEC management programme.
- Ensure that all H&H standards and procedures are adhered to, by means of conducting regular inspections and follow-ups and reports finding to ensure a safe working environment.
- Conduct inspections on all H&H aspects and monitor compliance to Catastrophic Risk Controls and H&H standards and procedures.
- Schedule your operating programme to inspect all working places and/or machinery within the following periods: At least once in fifteen days (High Risk working places), At least once in thirty days ( Medium Risk Working places) and At least once in ninety days (Low Risk Working Places)
- Records results of Inspections and other monitoring activities on Risk Rating System for development of risk profiles per working places
- Conduct follow up audits and troubleshooting surveys
- Analyse leading and lagging indicator information by completing the Leading Indicator Summary Sheet on a daily basis to determine trends and advise the HSEC Superintendent accordingly
- Facilitate H&H Risk Assessments
- Update H&H KPI’S and your Section compliance on a weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual basis to provide management with accurate information for future risk control
- Implement and maintain a system to report and investigate incidents in your section to determine root causes and appropriate remedial measures
- Track and report on all remedial actions as specified in your own HSEC and Section KPI’S
- Monitor compliance to emergency preparedness procedures.
- Liaise with the medical station regarding H&H illnesses and investigations
- Schedule and conduct H&H exposure and illness investigations and take appropriate action to eliminate and prevent re occurrence.