BHP Billiton has unprecedented organic growth expectations as confirmed by our CEO, Marius Kloppers in February 2011:
“We plan to spend in excess of 80 billion on growing our business over the next 5 years to the end of 2015“.
To fulfil market expectations and to support this goal, our corporateProject Management Group is realigning its structure and has created a number of new and unique opportunities. The Group’s mandate is critical; it is responsible for ensuring that the optimum framework and capabilities are in place to deliver safe, predictable and competitive projects. Furthermore, it is responsible for defining best practices, ensuring capabilities are in place, reviewing and reporting on capital performance and supporting continuous improvement across BHP Billiton projects globally.
We now have five opportunities for experienced and capable project managers who through fostering key relationships with senior CSG management can impact project performance as necessary to improve business value.
The roles will ensure successful project performance by enabling project teams with knowledge of the BHP Billiton Project framework, by monitoring major capital projects through all development phases and through motivating interventions where necessary.
The roles provide a unique opportunity to oversee our rich pipeline of projects diversified in both commodity and region and the roles have a global outlook. Above all, they offer you the chance to contribute significantly to the growth of the company by safeguarding our project delivery and by ensuring project teams are enabled to meet the challenges associated with project delivery.
The opportunities will require you to;
- Conform with the BHP Billiton Charter, the BHP Billiton GLD’s, Code of Conduct and relevant statutory obligations
- Have an overriding commitment to health, safety, environment responsibility and sustainable development
Engage with CSGs and project teams and provide proactive advice, conduct governance reviews, support interventions when necessary and provide key endorsements.
The role of a Manager Projects is to ensure projects are delivered in accordance with our projects framework including key elements such as;
- Engaging early with project teams to set expectations
- Ensuring teams are adhering to project GLDs and our documented best practices
- Ensuring endorsement of key project resources, execution strategies and hub strategies for projects
- Identifying early warning signs of poor project performance and recommending mitigating actions
- Reporting independently on the status of projects to senior executives
- Governing projects development and delivery performance against the company’s expectations
The role of a Senior Manager Projects is similar though has emphasis on the overall CSG program of projects, as well as individual projects. Additional elements of this role include;
- Remaining informed on the CSG growth strategy
- Ensuring the CSG is enabled to deliver in accordance with our project framework through early engagements
- Ensuring quality governance applied across the CSG projects
- Identifying and reporting on common themes affecting performance of the CSG projects
- Oversight of the CSG performance in program delivery
- Participation in steering committees
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
To be successful in this role you will be highly credible as a functional or project manager of mega projects (>$1B). Your depth of knowledge and recognition for excellence in the field of project management will be a key differentiator of your ability.
As well as project management knowledge, you will need to have knowledge of functional project processes including controls, procurement, engineering and risk. You will have had exposure to project review processes.
Your superior ability to identify risks, problem solve, persuade and influence will hold you in good stead to thrive in this fast-paced, rapidly changing and highly motivating environment. You will be able to develop effective relationships across a variety of levels in our organization.
Coupled with practical experience, a degree in engineering/ science or equivalent is essential. Specific project management education is highly desirable.
This role will require domestic or international travel on a frequent basis.
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity please apply online. Our Group Functions recruitment team will be in contact with you shortly.