This training programme is aimed at developing the knowledge gained by the graduate engineer at university so as to transform the individual into a professional engineer.
This will assist in expanding the graduate who will then be able to autonomously investigate and solve problems, execute tasks efficiently and take responsibility for engineering and managerial decisions.
Position outputs :
Introduction to the various department which make up TNPA namely:
- Health & Safety
- Human Resources
- Project Support Services
- Cost Engineering
- Document Control
- Quantity Surveying
- Contract Administration
- Introduction to other Transnet Business Unit Operating Divisions such as Transnet Freight Rail (TFR), Transnet Port Terminals (TPT) and Transnet National Port Authority (TNPA) for a better understanding of how they fit together to form Transnet.
- General/high level introduction to the Project Lifecycle Process (PLP).
- Report writing & presentation skills training
- Formal registration as a Candidate Engineer with the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA).
- Registering with recognised voluntary associations such as, but not limited to:
- South African Institute of Electrical Engineering (SAIEE)
- South African Institute of Civil Engineering (SAICE)
- South African Institute of Mechanical Engineering (SAIMechE)
- Read engineering related publications.
- Introduction into Engineering Design. EIT will be placed with TNPA design office, alternatively seconded to service providers (consultants) involved with designs on TNPA projects.
- The EIT is to be integrated into the overall project team.
- Introduction to Project Management principles.
- The EIT will be tasked with a supporting role- designing under supervision of senior engineers/supervisors.
- Introduction and understanding of industry-related statutory requirements, but not limited to:
- ECSA – Engineering Profession Act, 2000, (Act No. 46 of 2000), including rules and code of conduct.
- OHSAct – Occupational Health and Safety Act, 1993, (Act No. 85 of 1993), as amended including all relevant regulations.
- TNPA policies and procedures:
- Health & Safety Training
- Risk Assessment Training
- Reading of engineering related publications.
The EIT is to be integrated into the overall project team and site based from the onset.
– To develop site experience and apply the knowledge obtained from the previous training phases and from theory learnt at their tertiary institution.
– The EIT is to be tasked to manage/supervise certain aspects/implementations of the project under the supervision of senior construction supervisors/mentor.
– The EIT to be exposed to problem solving/conflict management during construction phase of a project where problems arise.
– Formal PLP training
– Formal NEC3 training
– Construction management training
– Reading of engineering related publications.
– The EIT may be given a small scale project to manage as project manager in addition to tasks already assigned, under the supervision of a senior project manager/mentor.
The EIT might be expected to act on behalf of other experienced project managers during a time the respective project manager is not available.
Qualifications & Experience :
- Tertiary Education
- Degree/National Diploma in Engineering (Civil,Electrical) and Project Managemet
Closing Date: 02 November 2015
Click Here to Apply ONLINE