Posted on :
17 Jun, 2014
17 Jun, 2014
• Prepare and analyze in the laboratory all received samples in accordance with the accepted and validated test methods.
• Maintain QC charts and checks as part of analysis
• Perform the analysis on all samples with the minimum turn-around time without compromising quality.
• Report results on time and accurately to the Laboratory Manager or deputy
• Keep the direct supervisor informed regarding progress and/or non-conformances
• Ensure the equipment is maintained and kept in good working order.
• Ensure that an acceptable level of stock of chemicals and consumables is maintained
• Maintain a high standard of security and confidentiality in the laboratory with respect to information and results
• Ensure work is carried out with due regard to good housekeeping and safety policies
• Conduct the allocated safety checks within the time allowed on a regular basis
• Investigate analytical non-conformances timorously to correct and improve the situation and prevent re-occurrences.
• Assist with the implementation of new and existing laboratory methods/services, as well as the validation thereof.
• Assist in maintaining Laboratory accreditation ISO 17025
• Minimize costs without compromising service delivery and quality
• Adhere to all quality and safety requirements of the SGS management system
• Perform any other reasonable tasks as assigned by the direct line manager.
• Identify and register near-misses and hazards to promote a safe and healthy work environment
• Duties and execution authority as indicated and accepted on the laboratory’s authority matrix
• Cease the use of any equipment that may be deemed to constitute a safety hazard or enter hazardous environments without the necessary knowledge and protection and report the situation to higher authority to take action
• Cease to carry on with work that may affect the quality (integrity) of services and report the situation to higher authority to take action
• Initiate a formal improvement request when a deviation of the system occurs, possible improvements are identified or when nonconformity is identified
• The incumbent is responsible to perform analysis on samples – primarily coal, but also Ferro-chrome and other related ores or other as directed by the Laboratory Manager or nominated deputy and in accordance with the approved test methods and required calibration and quality control measures
• To assist the Line Management in maintaining ISO 17025 SANAS accreditation and extend the scope of accreditation where required.
• The incumbent will report to the Laboratory Manager.
• Matric (Gr12) or N3 with Mathematics and Science
• ND in Analytical Chemistry or equivalent will be an added advantage
• At least one year laboratory experience – preferably in coal and chrome analysis field
• Knowledge of applicable analytical instruments, i.e. CV instrument, analytical balances, Furnace, CHNS analyzer, AAS, UV Vis Spectrometer and ISE meters
• Working knowledge of ISO 17025
• Fluent in English and good communication skills
• Computer literate in Excel – CClass Lims experience will be an added advantage
• Attention to detail
• Well organized.
Closing Date: 17.06.2014 00:00:00