Posted on :
1 Mar, 2011
1 Mar, 2011
MTN Group operates three business divisions: MTN-SA (South Africa), MTN International, and Strategic Investments. We are listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange under the Telecommunications Service Sector (which falls under the Industrial Non-Cyclical Services). MTN South Africa recruits Data and Systems Analyst
Mission/ Core purpose of the Job:
This position requires strong business skills and would be responsible for reviewing, analyzing and occasionally modifying, data structures and systems including encoding, testing, debugging and installing to support application systems. This role also ensures sound integration of information delivery systems into all application systems including external systems.
• Responsible for reviewing, analyzing and occasionally modifying systems including encoding, testing, debugging and installing to support application systems.
• Define rules to evaluate data quality and creating test plans that work
• Monitor compliance of data flows against data quality standards
• Develop, document and maintain data quality goals and standards
• report to management on the progress of data quality improvement and help resolve data quality problems through appropriate process design strategies, as well as error detection and correction tests and procedures.
• Recommend enhancements to record systems, as well as data acquisition processes to improve the accuracy of operation data.
• reviewing the referential and historical integrity of data warehouse information.
• Verify database and data integrity
• Consult with users to identify current operating procedures and to clarify program objectives.
• Writing documentation to describe custom configuration of applications and operating procedures.
• Application design, development and testing processes of projects;
• Liaison with Enterprise Architecture to ensure that the most appropriate solution is implemented
• Defining, developing and executing the applications solutions roadmap (R&D) in conjunction with Enterprise Architecture;
• Continuously review, improve and integrate ALM processes, in order to reduce complexity.
• In conjunction with IS Compliance ensure that IS commitments, policies, procedures and standards are adhered to.
• Ensure an application domain oversight role by Influencing and approving applications designs in the context of the joint design authority
• Monitoring existing systems for effectiveness, stability and performance and ensuring that service levels are maintained
• Facilitate JAD sessions with the 3rd party development vendors and the business
• Keeping abreast of latest trends in the technical and business domains to proactively progress and develop the MTN business.
• Participate in departmental initiatives to continuously seek improvements in business strategies, policies, system and procedure
• Review Requirement Definition Specifications (RDS) to ensure that technical documentation is accurate and satisfies user requirements.
•BSc IT, BCom IT, or BTech IT and SAS certification advantegous
• The position requires at least 3 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
• You must have a working knowledge of relational databases, web and client-server concepts, and be able to rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
• Extensive knowledge of data processing, hardware platforms, and enterprise software applications
• Technical experience with systems networking, databases, Web development, and user support.
• Good background in Data Base design
• Knowledge of office software such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Access, as well as knowledge of data manipulation tools and analysis techniques.
• In depth knowledge of IT and the IT technical roadmaps
• In depth knowledge of data analysis concepts
• Awareness of e-Commerce environment and commercial considerations
• In depth understanding of IT and Telecommunication Industry and key trends
• Broad knowledge of implementation platforms
• Key trends in the IS Industry with relation to Business Applications
• Industry (Telecommunications)
• Web technologies
• Development methodologies
• Sound business domain knowledge
Skills / physical competencies:
• Strong project management skills with effective results focus within an information systems environment.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Be detail-oriented, have research skills and understand the importance and benefits of data quality.
• Experience in the development and implementation of standards, procedures and guidelines to support operational processes.
• Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage changing priorities;
• Proven ability to be flexible and work hard, both independently and in a team environment, in a high pressure on-call environment with changing priorities.
• Willingness to work occasionally outside of normal business hours.
• Excellent english oral and written communication skills to present findings and recommendations
• Be able to work in teams and manage time and projects.
• A results oriented individual who thrives working in a fast paced environment
Reference No: IRC30557
Position Type: Permanent
Affirmative Action: Open to All
Additional: Behavioural qualities:
• Display integrity and simplicity of values
• Be innovative
• Be a strong team player/builder
• Ability to work closely with other team leaders, project leaders, project managers and managers
• Self motivated
• Ability to work under pressure
• Flexible thought application
• Accurate and timeous reporting
• Ability to adapt to changing requirements of customers and staff members
General working conditions/ Inherent requirements/ Tools of trade (e.g. shift work, drivers license (code), vehicle (make) specific tools (e.g. dial in facility, special cell phone, etc), special clothing, environmental requirements, etc.)
Please be specific when listing conditions, requirements, tools of trade and use of motor vehicle/ travel allowances.
• Dial up connectivity
• Access to new product, development and applications software
• High volume
• Non routine
• Long and irregular hours
• Tied in with legal responsibilities
• Special cell-phone
Applications close 02 Mar 2011.