Posted on :
4 Aug, 2010
4 Aug, 2010
The MTN South Africa brand was successfully relaunched with the “GO” campaign, which received a number of accolades including the Markinor Top Brands Survey and the Loerie Awards for advertising. There were also significant improvements in customer service levels. This was ratified by the Ask Africa Orange Index Survey, which named MTN South Africa the leading customer service provider in the telecommunications industry.
As part of the increased focus on improving capacity to deliver on the business strategy, MTN South Africa has been restructured into a functional organisational design. This has resulted in revised sales and service, marketing, and strategy and business development departments being implemented. This structure has been supported by a number of senior appointments. MTN South Africa has also entered into an information system outsourcing contract to gain access to a broader pool of skills.
The South African mobile communications market is a highly competitive and rapidly changing environment. Included in the range of new competitors are four broadband suppliers and the imminent entry of two fixed-line operators.
Provide Financial Accounting leadership to the MTN Group to ensure:
• Standardization of reporting processes, policies, procedures across the Group
• Timely and accurate preparation of consolidated monthly, quarterly and annual
• Implementation and maintenance of appropriate financial reporting systems
• Manage the overall preparation and consolidation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial results
• Review and guide the Group company financial operations.
• Review and verify the Group company accounting activities in compliance with IFRS and local statutory requirements.
• Prepare monthly financial reports and budgets for the Group Exco to support the financial decision making process.
• Designs and implements Group wide controls for financial reporting and budgets.
• Analyse the Financial accounting implications and advise accordingly. This may also include certain tax matters.
• Input to financial accounting submissions of Group holdings and subsidiary
• Supervise the preparation of half year and annual reports in compliance with
IFRS, JSE and King III requirements
• Liaise with Group external auditors to finalise both half year and full year
reporting and present outcomes to the Group Audit Committee.
Supervisory / Leadership / Managerial Complexity:
• Directing and advising operating units re Group financial reporting policies and
• Supporting, influencing and directing team members, Group Exco and the Audit
Committee re: decision making
• Leading and motivating employees to ensure business needs are delivered.
• Creating and managing the objectives for the direct reports
• Divisional management, and submission of accurate, timeous and relevant
financial information from all operational unit financial functions.
• Manage IT component, as financial reporting systems will be critical in the
ability for this individual to meet their objectives
• Chartered Accountant (SA)
• 5 years experience in leading Group Consolidations function of a large
• 5 years post article experience preferably in a telecoms environment
• Experience in accounting for complex consolidations in a multinational
• Experience in managing a highly qualified team of technical accountants
• Knowledge of Telecommunications
• Financial analysis
• High-level accounting knowledge (GAAP, IAS,etc)
• Financial markets knowledge, including JSE reporting requirements
Skills / physical competencies:
• Strong business acumen
• Thorough Application and understanding of financial Processes
• Intellectual Versatility
• Thorough knowledge and Application of Hyperion in a multinational company
• Excellent interpersonal skills, people management and cross cultural skills
• Ability to adapt to changing requirements of clients
• Dedication to get the job done
• Improvise in unknown situations
• High level of integrity
• High tolerance to diverse cultures and changing situations
• Output and achieving successes orientated
• Ability to perform well under pressure in order to meet frequent and challenging deadlines
Reference No: SBN017
Position Type: Permanent
Affirmative Action: Yes
Additional: • International travel
• Remote access to MTN network
• Independent transport facility
• Extended working hours
Applications close 16 Aug 2010.