Posted on :
9 Jul, 2013
9 Jul, 2013
The Service Delivery Payment Systems department consists of a group of technically adept people responsible for the planning, implementation and optimisation of Real time rating, voucher management, provisioning, data traffic classification and profiling, next generation technologies and supplementary systems that are core to MTN’s Real time rating and Data Service offerings. One is entrusted with decision making that is integral in the determination of the future successes that prepaid and real time rating services will have for MTN. This is a highly pressured environment, and one must be able to think ones feet The Engineer must be willing to be involved in all aspects of real time Planning. The position requires someone that: is enthusiastic to meet any challenge, loves technology, is prepared to spend vast amounts of times reading and researching and is hands on. One must develop strong relationships with all Service Delivery Team members, Internal MTN Clients , External partners and vendors The core purpose/mission of this job is to create workable system wide real time rating and next generation solution architectures and designs for the mobile services meeting business and technical requirements. Ensuring that all system and product documentation is kept up to date in a professional manner. The scope of systems includes OCS, Voucher Systems, USSD ,PCI, PCRF, IBS , IMS, SAN Storage, Zone core, Prepaid Gateways, virtual recharge systems, IM, etc, and constantly expands The Engineer must work on the development of products and perform capacity planning of services in line with business requirements and budgetary priorities within VAS Area. The Engineer needs to make sure projects are tracked, well managed and reported on and system and products are well documented and monitored. The Engineer defines, plans, architects and implements requirements with vendors and MTN Operations for various systems. Each Engineer is allocated a set of Systems for which he/she is the primary Engineer and a set of Systems for which he/she is the secondary Engineer. Any system within the Payment Systems space can be allocated and the Engineer will be expected to take up many new challenges.
Customer Requirements Analysis:
Play an active role in requirements Analysis. This means that we need to provide comprehensive input on Requirements Definitions, Marketing Plans, Marketing Roadmaps, Marketing Strategy as well as Payment Systems Team Strategy. o Business Project Tracking & Management: Keep of all project progress and provide project status updates as well as ensure that feedback is provided on Resourcing versus Project Load. o Product Ownership: Work with Line Management to ensure that all products are assigned owners and that product documentation and reporting is put into place. o Technical Landscape and Business Proposals Presentations: Present , Underutilized capabilities of our Systems, Product ideas, Future Technical Landscapes to the Business as regularly as possible: • Internal o System Architecture and Functional Requirements Specifications: Ensure that each System or logical group of Systems should have Functional Requirements Specifications that are updated for each new requirement o Reporting & Data Management: Ensure that all systems and products have reporting o System Arch, Capacity, Utilization, Health, Roadmap and System Evolution Presentations: Deliver quarterly reports for all systems which includes a views on system topology, health, functioning, products supported and all projects effecting the system evolution to date o System Documentation: Ensure that all systems (or set of systems) are properly documented. Documents include Technical Architectures, Installation & Operations Guides, 3rd Party Interface Documents, ATP Documents and Topology overviews o Capacity and Event Plans: Ensure that documentation is maintained that identifies capacity upgrades that are required. o Policies, Processes and Procedures: Ensure that Policies and Procedures around Systems and Products are in place in order to ensure MTN maintains their ISO status. o Incident or Event Reporting: Major network issues (incidents) and Major events require reports o E2E Testing: Ensure that as many systems as possible are put into in place to test Subscriber Experience. • Financial o Track the cost lifecycle of each system: Be able to identify critical junctures for proper budgetary planning such as end-of-life or de-support of components or systems o Billing and Assurance Management: Ensure up to date documentation exists showing all record types and fields & traffic cases. o Track all Licenses and HW for your area: Track all Licenses and Hardware and work with Operations to make sure that all HW and SW support is covered and that License renewals happen. • People (Learning and Growth) o Knowledge Management: This is the set of proactive activities that one needs to undertake to support an organization in creating, assimilating, disseminating, and applying its knowledge. Knowledge management is a continuous process to understand the organization’s knowledge needs, the location of the knowledge, and how to improve the knowledge o Risk Management: It is each Persons responsibility to ensure that MTNs investment is protected such that risk to MTN is minimal whenever staff leave due to natural attrition or when MTN needs to swop vendor systems and solutions for whatever reason Supervisory / Leadership / Managerial Complexity
1. Self Management is a Key discipline that a Systems Engineer must take into cognisance. The MTN culture requires one to be self managed in that the Systems Engineer must not expect the Senior Engineers and Line Management to assign individual tasks. Often time one will simply be assigned a project and will be expected to work on it almost completely alone and will be required to see the project through from start to finish.
2. Work with Senior Systems Engineers and Line Management to maintain morale within Payment Systems team
3.The Systems Engineer must make sure that he/she adheres to the principles of the Companies values at all times
1. The Systems Engineer is required to track projects progress for projects where he/she is the lead (through all phases) by identifying the high level milestones and tracking delivery and deadlines.
2. The Systems Engineer must ensure that each key phase of the project lifecycle is completed properly Mentoring and Knowledge Management: A Systems Engineer must maintain open, consistent and professional communication amongst all Payment Systems team members including colleagues in other Network Group departments as well as with Marketing and the Business by and large. Vendor Management: The Systems Engineer must assist the Senior Systems Engineers and Line Management to manage Vendor performance which must but be monitored. Regular meeting must be held with all vendors to go through all issues. Healthy vendor relationships must be maintained at all times Role Complexity: This role constantly requires the Engineer to perform duties that are outside the “traditional” Telecommunications Engineering role. The following additional complexity is required from this role that is not usually inherent in such a position. The Engineer should have the following background which is somewhat outside of the norm of what is found in traditional Mobile Operators but which, MTN has learnt with time, is imperative for effective Planning and Operations of Payment Systems
• Programming and System Architect background as many systems are developed from the ground up and entail skills to be able to conduct advanced testing and draw data for analysis • OS Systems Administration Background with regard to Unix and/or Linux based Operating systems to enable effective planning and rollout of Systems on the required hardware and Operating System • Basic Storage Administration Background to enable effective planning and rollout of Systems requiring a sizeable amount of Storage • Basic Database Administration Background to enable effective planning and rollout of Systems requiring a Databases as part of the Architecture
BSc/National Diploma Electronic Engineering or Computer Science
At least 2+ years experience in the IT/Telecoms industry and specifically the application of Information Technology within the telco space of which at least 1 year should be applicable experience at an internationally recognized operator. The Engineer must be widely read and know about many facets of Telecoms including open-source projects and I.T. technologies in general.
Process modelling, technical documentation skills • Analytical and problem solving skills. • Project planning skills. • Communication and interpersonal skills. • Facilitation and Multitasking skills. • Contract administration skills. • Conflict and Stress resolution skills. • Customer centricity. • Presentation and writing skill Behavioural qualities • Display integrity and simplicity of values • Be innovative • Resourceful • Be a strong team player • Ability to work closely with other team leaders, project leaders, project managers and managers • Self-motivated • Ability to work under pressure • Flexible thought application • Accurate and timeous reporting • Initiative • Perseverance • Ability to adapt to changing requirements of Business, customers and staff members Authorities • Submitting financial process documents for procurement • Creating tender documentation, evaluating responses as part of a team and final submission of proposals to the Tender committee. • Managing implementation of new systems. • Acceptance testing signoff on Vendor work • Analysis of capacity trends and impacts on service thereby planning for future requirements.
How to Apply
Click on the Apply Now button below or on this link to Apply online