The CSIR has an Internship opportunity in the National Centre for Nano-Structured Materials.
The purpose of this programme is to equip students with technical experience and practical work experience by involvement in our research projects:
- Polymer Nanocomposites: chemical and polymer processing involving manufacturing of nano structures, scaling-up, and developing polymer nanocomposites for various applications,
- Clay / nano additives: chemical processing involving manufacturing of nano-structures and scaling-up for various applications,
- Materials for Device Applications: fabrication and testing / characterisation of materials
- Characterisation Facility: assisting staff, CSIR, academic and industrial clients in the characterisation of materials across a number of techniques and instruments.
This position is based in Pretoria.
The National Centre for Nanostructured Materials is a platform for the implementation of the South African National Nanotechnology Strategy.
It undertakes innovative research on nano-structured materials and has an extensive research network with other local and international research organisations.
It has a strong focus on human capital development, makes a significant contribution to the creation and dissemination of new scientific knowledge, and collaborates closely with industry to help ensure successful outcomes and impact of the group’s research and development activities
- Conduct literature searches for research projects;
- Conduct experimental work in the laboratory for research projects;
- Assist researchers and operators where needed;
- Operate scaling-up plant equipment (e.g. Extruder, Injection Mould, Film Blow Mould, Autoclave, Product Drying equipment, etc. – training will be provided);
- Characterise products/materials (e.g. SEM, XRD, TGA, etc. – training will be provided);
- Compile reports and other project related documents;
- Housekeep labs and scaling-up plants.
- SS-F-HR-363 REV05 Advert template business unit/competency area
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A three year qualification (N.Dip, Bsc or BTech) in chemical engineering, polymer science, polymer processing and/or polymer technology or
- Bachelor’s degree honours (Bsc hons,BEng hons) in chemistry, chemical engineering, polymer science, polymer procession and/or polymer technology;
- Knowledge in the following will be an advantage:
o Research in nano materials, clay/nano additives and/or polymer processing or synthesis
o Industrial experience in chemical plant operation, compounding or polymer processing or synthesis
o Expertise in hands-on running of characterization equipment, either electron microscopy (SEM, TEM), x-ray instruments (XRD), optical instruments (FTIR, PL, etc.), or polymer characterization instruments (TGA, DMA, DSC, Rheometry etc).
Communication and presentation skills;
Research and report writing skills;
Problem solving, solution seeking orientation;
Goal orientated approach
Ability to work independently;
Closing Date: 26 Auguast 2016
HOW TO APPLY
Click Here to VIEW AND APPLY