Purpose of Job /Role Intent:
To provide a day-to-day operational personal assistant and secretarial/administration function to the Senior Vice President and acts as the manager’s first point of contact with people from both inside and outside the organisation. Co-ordinates business functions of the unit that include personnel administration, office co-ordination and budget monitoring and management. To ensure effective diary management, administration management (including financial admininistration, project-related admin support) for the Senior Vice President.
To co-ordinate office activities and perform clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls and scheduling meetings in support of the on-going operations of the office. Usually privy to sensitive and confidential information. To be a strong confidante to the SVP/VP and to be trustworthy and empowered to take decisions within the scope of the job as well as to manage the personal affairs of the manager.
To support the SVP/VP in the achievement towards reaching the company’s strategic goals and objectives.
Closing date: 17 June 2016
Business Unit: Financial Controlling
Role category: Process Implementation
Geographical Area: Rosebank
Minimum Qualifications and experience required
Grade 12: 9 years relevant experience
Relevant Certificate (2 year): 7 years relevant experience
Relevant Diploma (3 year): 6 years relevant experience
Relevant degree or higher National Diploma (3-4 year)
Sasol experience (3 years minimum)
Has advanced broad knowledge of the business and capable of anticipating situations and taking appropriate action.
Computer literate with the ability to learn new software applications.
Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and telephone protocol.
Experienced professional who has developed their skills and theoretical knowledge to a very high standard.
Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
Experience in dealing with confidential information and with senior management.
Excellent written and oral communication and good interpersonal skills.
Good presentation skills.
Efficient and self motivated individual.
Knowledge of office practices, administration procedures and computer software programs.
Strong business acumen and knowledge of the business with acute insights to the sensitivities of both internal and external interfaces, but specifically how they impact the Sasol executive’s role.
Core Elements of Job
- The incumbent is required to liaise with staff in own business unit as well as other business units and with external contacts clients and suppliers.
- Office based with some travel and attendance at events and conferences.
- Regular interaction across multiple business units and functions on site
Planning and co-ordination of meetings
- Effectively manages the diary/calendar of the Senior Vice President/Vice President (e.g., scheduling of meetings as agreed).
- Effectively manages the daily operations of the SVP and VP
- Responds to all meeting invitations received and ensures proper consultation with the Heads
- Proactively anticipates and responds to diary clashes and resolves conflicts.
- Books meeting rooms and organises access and parking for visitors.
- Arranges catering and refreshments for agreed meetings.
- Monitors the email in-boxes for the Senior Vice President/Vice President and provides necessary support based on the action that is required (e.g., urgent requests to be sent; queries handed-over to relevant member of the team; meeting deadlines for submissions; complaints or escalations).
- Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls, takes messages, schedules appointments for SVP/VP and/or management staff and provides information to callers.
- Effective meeting and event planning skills
- Performs a full range of secretarial assignments, such as composing and typing routine letters, memoranda, reports and minutes of meetings,
- Excellent e-mail and diary management skills
- Project a professional company image through in-person and phone interaction.
- Deliver quality, cost effective service and support on time
- Assists in the drafting of the agendas for internal and external meetings and ensures timely distribution to meeting attendees before the meetings take place
- Distribute to relevant stakeholders
- Plans and organises events such as conferences, annual events, monthly committee meetings and weekly team meetings
- Create, transcribe, and distribute meeting agendas and minutes.
- Excellent planning and co-ordinating skills
- Prioritizes and negotiates organizational needs regarding meetings, timeframes, and deadlines
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Attends meetings, takes minutes and meeting notes
- Works independently to manages and plan projects and executes on deliverables within timelines
- Good time management
- Proofreads and corrects prepared materials for correct grammar, format, completeness
- Understands more complex and verbal and written communication and instructions.
- To provide an efficient and responsive administrative, organisational, and logistical service to the SVP/VP
- Adds value in a constantly changing environment with little or no management direction
- Assists SVP/VP by helping him to manage and prioritise his time and ensures that a high level of service is maintained.
- Control time and priority of own and manager’s actions
- Plan and organise the workload and the initiative to resolve issues quickly in an appropriate manner
- Has to cope with changing set of priorities and needs to be flexible and adaptable
- Prepare correspondence and reports
- Accurate document / information processing and management
- Prepares and maintains office records, reports and correspondence
- Effective office administration/management.
- Utilizes, reconciles and manipulates data for management reports from different internal and external sources
- Demonstrate the ability to use technology and equipment
- Applies an understanding of the information in order to extrapolate key data
- Effective management of information flow
- Organises and stores paperwork, documents and computer based information
- Compliance with internal standards
- Store and File for easy future access
- Create/Develop new Documentation
- Maintain hard copy and electronic filing system.
- Keeps abreast of technological changes and masters new technology
- Compose, type and distribute meeting notes, routine correspondence and minutes
- Photocopies and prints documents as and when requested
- Identifies and schedules appropriate venue, travel and accommodation arrangements, locally and internationally for the SVP/VP
- Good travel management skills
- Manages the logistics of all venue, travel and accommodation requirements
- Makes arrangements for passports, international visas, international drivers’ licenses, car hire, international roaming facilities, foreign currency allowances, if and when required
Stakeholder management and communication
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers through oral and written communications
- Effective management of relationships with stakeholders within the business units, SBU ‘s and hubs
- Keeps informed on industry developments
- Understands the sensitivities around competitors.
- Adapts the content, style and medium of communication to ensure appropriateness and to maximize understanding and impact among a wide range of audiences.
- Assists other PAs on systems or processes, if needed
- Effectively responds to internal stakeholder queries in a timely manner
- Manages a number of requests and situations at one time
Cost awareness and control
- Monitors cost and expenditure and provides report to the SVP/VP
- Orders and maintains stationery and equipment timeously. Keeps records thereof .
- Control stock of stationery and office supplies
- Awareness, focus and control of cost / budget
- Cost control – Provides recommendations on improvement opportunities in the administrative functions (e.g. ways to save costs, increase efficiency, save time etc.).
- Show understanding and acting upon rules, procedures, etc.
- Obtaining and seeing to the appropriate use of equipment, facilities, and materials needed to do certain work
Leadership Behavioural Competencies
- Achieving personal work and objectives
- Adapting and responding to change
- Coping with pressures and setbacks
- Learning and researching
- Organisational know-how
- Resilience & personal effectiveness
- Handling Situations with Diplomacy
- Conflict Management
- Customer Relationship management
- Organising and planning
- Pro-activeness/Decision Making
- Competitor and Cultural Sensitivity
- Business knowledge
- Computer skills
- Verbal and written communication
- Gathering and processing information