Posted on :
8 Aug, 2014
8 Aug, 2014
RIA seeks to appoint a PhD intern. This Opportunity will Develop your Research and Expertise, you will be Working with Experts and Project Specialists. PhD RESEARCH INTERN (Ref No: RIA-08/2014 PhD)
CATEGORY: Research Use and Impact Assessment (RIA)
Pretoria – Three year contract
RIA seeks to appoint a PhD intern.
The internship experience is intensive and seeks mature individuals who are able to work independently as well as in a team.
The appointed intern will develop their research expertise by working with experts and project specialists.
In addition to completing their degrees, research interns are required to participate in all aspects of the research process as they work on research projects. Among other duties, they will participate in the following activities under supervision:
• The conceptualisation and execution of research projects;
• The formulation of research questions and funding proposals;
• The submission of research proposals for ethical review;
• Collection and analysis of data;
• Write-up of research including manuscripts for publication, conference presentations, and research reports; and
• Assist with administrative matters in the research environment.
• Applicants for the PhD internship must have graduated with a Master’s degree and eligible to register or recently registered for a PhD in the Social Sciences/Humanities;
• Candidates must have an interest in research that seeks to extend and enhance the use and impact of scientific research from the HSRC and other sources of research, and manage the HSRC’s relationships, reputation and brand;
• Computer literacy including MS Office, Outlook and Excel and related applications;
• Good planning and organisational skills, including working well under pressure;
• Sound communication skills (verbal as well as report writing);
• A sound conceptual grounding in the discipline and in qualitative or quantitative research methods;
• Applicants must be South African citizens or citizens of an African country already registered at a South African institution.
In your application, please include:
(1) a one page letter of motivation indicating your suitability for the position; (2) your CV, that must include your South African citizenship or residency status, and expected date of submission of your dissertation; (3) published article in an academic journal or a writing sample, as well as a one-page outline of your PhD thesis; and (4) the details of three recent referees with telephone, fax or e-mail contact details.
Please indicate the relevant reference number that appears in this advert.
The HSRC will only consider applications that include the above requirements.
Applicants will be required to undertake a written exercise in the competencies required for the position.
The HSRC is committed to accelerating the proportion of its researchers who are black, female or disabled.
Applications should be submitted to: The Head: Human Resources, Private Bag X41, Pretoria, 0001 or hand-deliver it to the HSRC Building, Room 930 South, 134 Pretorius Street, Pretoria. Alternatively applications may be e-mailed to [email protected] indicating the reference number of the position in the subject line.
Only applications containing this information will be considered.
Closing date: 18 August 2014. We encourage applicants to submit before that date.
If you do not receive any response from us within eight weeks, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
Only candidates who are interviewed will be advised of the outcome of their application.
DATE PUBLISHED: 4 August 2014
DATE EXPIRES: 18 August 2014