Posted on :
27 May, 2013
27 May, 2013
To research, write, develop and maintain South African National Standards according to defined processes and procedures including the engagement and management of committees and their members in order to formulate technical requirements into written standards. The standards to be developed will cover a wider scope within the same discipline
Research the requirements for new standards and standards under review:
• Conduct research and produce a report by identifying the relevance of the need for a standard (Economic, policy, regulatory, Conformity assessment, health, safety, environment, etc.) – Scope of research covers a wider within the same discipline
• Submit research output and suggested way forward to internal and external stakeholders
• Stay abreast of new standards or projects in other areas as relevant to projects within your sphere of control.
Write South African National Standards (wider Scope) and other related deliverables in line with the division’s processes and procedures:
• Plan all the milestones for the delivery of the standard together with the Programme Manager
• Use material from the PWI stage (research) in order to formulate working draft
• Convene working group discussions/meetings with the Committee appointed working group (WG) members. Must formulate technical requirements into written standards.
• Work with the WG in order to get inputs to draft the working draft (WD) and finalize the WD.
• Prepare and circulate committee draft (stage 30) according to ARP 013 and ensure consensus is reached on the draft.
• Facilitate the process of having the draft documents edited, technically reviewed, drawings prepared and typed as required.
• Ensure that the standard is relevant, achieves the aims as set in the NWIP, is of good quality and is user friendly.
• Ensure that the DSS is circulated by the Committee Administrator. Attend to the disposition of comments if any are received at DSS
• Ensure that the standard is sent for SAC approval
• Provide progress reports regularly and alert the Programme Manager on deviations to the plan. Follow up on any outstanding actions raised during reports.
• Report back to the Committee and committee secretariat on progress of assigned work items
• Correctly follow the standards development process.
Establish the South African mandate on international standards development activities:
• Establish the need to participate in International Committees, including membership levels and identify the standards projects that South Africa has to follow
• Ensure that the projects identified for adoption have been registered and that the parallel adoption process has been approved and followed
• Projects that have not been identified for adoption but are followed by the committee need to be tracked, commented and voted on. Decisions taken by the mirror committee on these documents will be recorded
• Vote/comment on international documents using own knowledge and the decisions of the mirror committee
• Take on leadership roles in International standards development committees, i.e. WG convener and Committee secretariat (where applicable).
Guide, educate and advise stakeholders:
• Chair committee meetings effectively (if elected as chair or have to stand in for chair)
• Educate all stakeholders on the standards development process e.g. workshops, meetings, etc. and represent the organization as proficient in the standards development process
• Keep abreast of any new developments taking place in the sphere of control regarding standards and the development thereof.
Deliver excellent customer service:
• Provide excellent customer service by handling queries and resolving problems as they relate to standards
• Resolve customer queries within the desired time frame.
Optimize own performance within the team:
• Participate as a productive team member by managing own performance in order to meet departmental objectives
• Value diversity and actively build business relationships
• Ensuring that one is able to seek guidance and mentorship from more experienced team members where necessary
• Keep records of all documents/decisions.
• Degree / Higher diploma or closely related qualification in Electrical Engineering
• 4 years relevant experience
• Knowledge of general industry terminology
• Understands the environment in which standards are developed and the impact of a standard to support this environment
• Excellent command of the English language
• Computer Literate (MS Office, Internet, GroupWise E-mail)
• Results Orientation
• Customer Focus
• Professional And Technical Depth And Credibility
SABS is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer. The employment decision shall be informed by the Employment Equity targets to be achieved as per the SABS EE Plan. Preference will therefore be given to African Males/Females, Coloured Males as well as Persons with Disabilities.