Posted on :
24 Mar, 2015
WESTERN CAPE BURSARY COMPETITION FOR GRADE 11 LEARNERS OFFERING ECONOMICS, ACCOUNTING AND MATHEMATICS (2015-2016)
1. The Western Cape Provincial Treasury, in collaboration with Nedbank and the Western Cape Education Department (WCED), invites schools to enter for the 2015 Western Cape Bursary Competition, an essay-writing competition.
2. The Bursary Competition offers Grade 11 learners in the province, taking a combination of Economics, Mathematics and Accounting as subjects, the opportunity of obtaining bursaries and other incentives to further their studies in these fields at a university.
3. A maximum of twelve bursaries, as well as a cash prize as financial assistance during their Grade 12 year, will be awarded to learners who intend obtaining a degree in Economics (e.g. B Comm. [Economics]), Accounting (e.g. B Acc., B Compt.), Commerce (e.g. B Bus. Science) or Mathematics at a Western Cape university.
4. The bursaries are for Grade 11 learners who excel (minimum level of 60%) in at least two of the subjects Economics, Mathematics and Accounting and who qualify for entrance to a university in 2017. Entrants must be South African citizens, residing in the Western Cape, who have a good command of spoken and written English.
5. Prizes for teachers of the winning learners:
School principals will be asked to provide the names of the teachers concerned.
6. The bursary competition aims to:
7. The time frame for this bursary competition is from March 2015 to March 2016.
8. Refer to the attached Addendum B for the essay topic (supplied only in English).
9. Refer to the attachments for the following:
10. Schools should choose promising learners to participate in the competition. They will be required to write an essay of approximately 2 200 words. The rest of the Grade 11 Economics class may write an essay on the same topic to a maximum of 600 words.
11. A team of teachers at the school will use the assessment rubric provided to choose the three top performers who fulfil the minimum requirement of 70% (essay and oral presentations combined) to go through to the next round of the competition. The essays and mark sheets of the top three performers and of all other learners who achieved above 70% must be submitted to the education district office for assessment at level 2 (district level) by no later than 27 October 2015.
12. An assessment panel in each education district will assess the qualifying essays from schools and choose the finalists. The 10 best essays per district will be chosen by this panel and sent through to the final level (provincial level) by 20 November 2015.
13. The twenty best essays will be chosen by the final selection panel, consisting of representatives of Nedbank, the Provincial Treasury and the WCED.
14. A maximum of fifteen finalists will be invited to attend the final selection in Cape Town in March 2016 – on a Friday afternoon and Saturday following the Provincial Budget Speech. They will be required to make an oral presentation on their research findings and to respond to questions put to them by the selection panel. The Economics teachers of the finalists will be invited to accompany them. The education district panel members will be invited to attend the awards ceremony on the Saturday evening.
15. Please consult Addendum A for detailed information about entry requirements, entry documents, time frames and adjudication criteria.
16. Enquiries about the essay-writing and marking must be directed to the Economics curriculum advisers in the education districts.
17. Principals are requested to bring the contents of this minute to the attention of all Grade 11 Economics, Mathematics, Accounting and Life Orientation teachers.
Addendum A: Additional important information (size: 25 KB)
Addendum B: Research Project Topic for Grade 11 Programme of Assessment (2015) (size: 88 KB)
The Western Cape Essay Competition – Entry Form (size: 107 KB)
Essay writing manual (size: 106 KB)
Competition time frames:
Final date for essays to be submitted to the school convenor: 13 October 2015.
Adjudication at schools: 13 to 26 October 2015.
Submission to local district office: 27 October 2015.
Closing Date: 13 October 2015