IkamvaYouth is a township-based volunteer programme that gets learners out of poverty through education. The organisation exists to reduce inequality in South Africa, and its track record of matric results, access to post-school opportunities, and alumni success is proof that positive change is possible.
IkamvaYouth seek to appoint an intern for Ebony Park branch, in Gauteng. The ideal candidate must be passionate about the power of education to transform lives and communities and want to make a difference. This is an exciting opportunity to play a pivotal role in a by-youth-for-youth educational movement that empowers young people to take their futures into their own hands.
Reports to: Branch Coordinator
Responsibilities, skills and aptitudes required for this post include:
- Assisting the branch staff with day to day admin
- Management of computer lab
- Responsible for enrolling new learners, updating contact details on branch phones and Ed-Admin database.
- Accompanying learners on outings and trips
- Daily learner and parental follow-ups for absenteeism & other learner related concerns
- Maintaining the branch filing system for each program administered at the branches and all recorded processes and procedures.
- Setting up and maintaining a library system for all branch learning materials; i.e. answer Series, question papers, textbooks etc.
- Point person for repairs and maintenance of electronic equipment (computers, labs, printers, phones etc.)
- Assisting alumni department with support for branch’s ex-learners who are at tertiary
- Assisting with general lab duties such as printing, photocopying and ensuring proper usage and maintenance of the environment.
- Receiving and welcoming guests into the branch.
- Organising parents’ meetings and taking minutes.
- Constantly reporting back and updating everyday branch activities and developments to Branch Coordinator.
- Ensuring the tutoring space is clean and ready for use before tutoring starts.
- Maintaining learner discipline, facilitating ice breakers and making announcements and giving feedback to learners after tutoring.
- Provide support to Branch Coordinator on daily branch activities and handling branch communications as requested.
- Communicating with Volunteers and keeping update on branch developments.
- Participating in branch and National organizational communications.
Skills and Competencies:
- Matric Certificate (Degree / Diploma advantageous)
- Minimum 1-year admin experience
- Telephone etiquette
- Computer literate
- Communication skills
- Good writing skills
- A can-do attitude
- R 2 500 Matric certificate
- R 4 000 Degree/National Diploma
Interested applicants should submit their Curriculum Vitae and a cover letter via email to [email protected] with the subject heading “Intern Ebony” by 14 July 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted – should you not hear from us by 31 July 2017, you may consider your application unsuccessful.