Aka Brip Careers (ABC), an NGO with its National Office situated in Cape Town with branches in all the major provinces is looking for a CEO who has strategic business and/or NGO management experience and a passion for helping others.
The Foundation is overseen by a Council consisting of professionals in business, medical and community involvement fields.
Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Job Location: Cape Town
Role of the CEO
- The CEO, who reports to the Council, is expected to set (together with Council and staff), and implement the strategic direction of the Foundation, taking into account the economic, political and societal scenarios in which the Foundation and the people it serves are currently living and will live in the foreseeable future.
- Organisational structuring and management are essential skills. Scenario planning experience will be an advantage.
- The candidate must have proven ability to manage people across a diverse range of staff.
- The National Office has a small but closely knit staff complement.
- Branch managers operate with a great deal of autonomy, but the CEO is required to keep in regular contact with them and to maintain organisational unity.
- The candidate must have a thorough knowledge of current labour law and human resource practices.
Technical and Creative Abilities
- Must have excellent English speaking, writing and proofreading skills. Additional languages would be an advantage.
- Must have natural public speaking ability and should be experienced in preparing and giving ppt. presentations.
- Must understand the use of RMD (Relational Marketing Database) and how to utilise it to its full advantage.
- Must be fully au fait with the use of social media in branding, marketing and fundraising campaigns.
- Must be able to manage day to day office matters, steer the ship calmly through crises, and have a working knowledge of most tasks performed by the staff.
- The candidate should be able to step in to almost every role if necessary.
- Must be a quick study in order to get up to date very quickly on the nature of the various diseases the organistaion deals with, past and current trends in treatment, and research into future modalities.
- The candidate must be aware of the current and probable future environment in which raising funds for projects takes place.
- Further, the candidate must be experienced in all aspects of fundraising and be able to prepare and compose somewhat complex proposals in line with the requirements of different funding organisations.
- The candidate must, when required, work together with the Advancement Manager (Marketing, Communications and Fundraising) on major fundraising campaigns for various projects.
- The candidate must be prepared to travel in the course of these fundraising duties.
- Candidates should have patient advocacy experience, but if not, must be willing to study advocacy and to play a major role in patient advocacy to influence government, big pharma, medical schemes and other relevant regulatory bodies to ensure better treatment for patients, more opportunities for specialist training at registrar level, and lower prices for key drugs for all those affected by the related diseases.
- Matric with a good aggregate pass
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a respected university or technical university.
This is a job that requires a passionate desire to help others, the ability to bounce back despite difficult times, and the desire to stretch yourself beyond your perceived limitations or comfort zone.
The organisation does not offer pension or medical aid. However, it makes up for this by providing very generous leave. In addition to the normal three weeks, the organisation closes for a month from mid- December to mid-January.
Submit your application to Miriam and her email address is: [email protected]
Application Deadline: 20th July, 2018