More than twenty years after democracy, high performing schools in South African townships are the exception. Our aim is to change this landscape and support no-fee public schools in their journey to become excellent and provide the highest quality education to the most underserved communities. At Acorn Education, we aim to transform the lives of our learners and we do whatever it takes to make this dream a reality.
Job Title: Career Counselor
Location: Eerste River, Cape Town.
The precise areas of responsibility for this post will be agreed based around your skills and the needs of the school, but it is anticipated that you will be able to:
Identifying local (and regional):
- employment opportunities;
- learnership and apprenticeship opportunities; and
- opportunities for further study, including access to funding support (through bursary or sponsorship programmes) and NQF bridging possibilities
- Developing relationships and building partnerships with employers, institutions of further learning and funders
- Developing a post-school placement strategy: creating career plans and placement opportunities based on learner profiles and engagement
- Evaluating learners’ abilities and interests through aptitude and other relevant assessments, and engagement
- Engaging with learners extensively to provide career coaching, focusing on expanding career horizons, school and subject choices, and performance and pathways links.
- Working with learners to access relevant employment, learnership/ apprenticeship, or further study opportunities.
- Working with teachers and parents to help learners succeed
- Designing mentoring and post-school support programme, including job readiness training, and building a cohort of mentors to support school leavers
- Fluent in English and Afrikaans, with excellent listening skills and speaking skills.
- SA driver’s license (code 8) and own vehicle essential
- Must be a South African national or possess a permanent resident permit
- Minimum working experience of 5 years in a related field
- No criminal record- candidates will be required to undergo a criminal background check
- Proven ability to work with people who are dealing with stressful and difficult situations
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to work with different personality types and to facilitate meaningful connections with teenage learners
- Knowledge of counseling techniques, as well as various methods of psychometric testing
- Solid existing employer and study networks
- Knowledge of scarce skills and in-demand careers and further education sector, including:
- government structures, policies and plans (especially in terms of employment and skills development incentives and programmes), and
- study/ qualification options offered through South Africa’s full spectrum of institutions of further learning
Education and experience profile:
- Tertiary qualification in counseling or related field with a focus on career development
- At least 3 years’ experience in counseling or recruitment, with a proven track record in testing and job placements
- Previous experience in youth development or working with young people an added advantage
- Previous experience in working as a career counselor highly beneficial
- Self-starter, motivated to work independently and as part of a close-knit team
- Energised by assisting, serving, counselling, or teaching other people
- Compassionate, patient, and empathetic
- Committed to making a difference through education and youth development
- Well-groomed, highly organised, self-motivated, and displays highly ethical and professional behaviour at all times
Please submit an updated CV with references and a cover letter to [email protected]
Please include the position you are applying for in the subject title of the email application.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
Application Deadline: Sunday, 18 October, 2020