For 30 years, the International Youth Foundation (IYF) has coordinated and sustained actions that harness the talent and potential of the world’s young people. At the heart of our efforts is building partnerships, initiatives, and curricula that prepare young people to succeed as citizens and employees.
In South Africa, IYF partners to strengthen education and training systems including public TVET colleges and employer-led learnerships for unemployed youth so that they better equip young people to access and expand economic opportunity. We work with national government and TVET leaders to align courses with industry needs; we equip employers to deliver more impactful life skills training within their learnerships; and we create mutually beneficial partnerships between industry and education systems that improve young people’s lives while also delivering measurable business benefits.
IYF’s work in South Africa is always exciting, ever-evolving, and informed by the needs of key stakeholders: the Department of Higher Education & Training (DHET), national industry groups, individual employers, and young people. It is not without challenges, but the payoff is worth it. Our programming is supported by a growing number of government, corporate, and foundation donors, including the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Embassy of Ireland, Michael & Susan Dell Foundation (MSDF), De Beers, and PepsiCo Foundation.
Job Title: Programme Manager
Location: KwaZulu-Natal (Durban) and Eastern Cape
IYF South Africa is preparing to launch an innovative four-year initiative with the National Association of Automotive Component and Allied Manufacturers (NAACAM) that will harness the knowledge and skills imperatives of this vital economic sector along with IYF curricula enhancement tools to strengthen the quality of select public TVET college courses. Ultimately, IYF wants to demonstrate a model for greater industry involvement in TVET course design and delivery that generates enthusiasm from TVET educators and industry, while also generating positive returns for young people and employers.
The Programme Managers will each oversee implementation in aspecific region (KwaZulu-Natal and Eastern Cape). The Managers will work in-tandem with other IYF staff, industry and government partners, TVET leaders and educators and youth advisors to deliver on the aims of this exciting initiative.
Key responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Leading Project Implementation, from inception through delivery. Serving as the lead representative for provincial TVET and industry partners in the province. “Own” the initiative’s workplan and budget. Supporting monitoring and evaluation, and leading quarterly project reporting.
- Designing the TVET Technical Assistance Package: Working closely with IYF’s TVET Curriculum Enhancement Manager, and industry and TVET partners, the Programme Manager will design a technical assistance package for TVET colleges in KZN and EC that is realistic, industry-aligned, and youth and gender-responsive. The Manager will organise and facilitate skills gap workshops with employers, manage TVET curriculum diagnostics, and help to identify course upgrade priorities.
- Overseeing Implementation of Course Upgrades: Ensuring quality implementation of TVET course upgrades, including content designed by IYF’s TVET Curriculum Enhancement Manager, and other enhancements designed by the Programme Manager (e.g. TVET student workplace exposure). Managing contractors and sub-grantees, such as private providers of specialised technical training to TVET lecturers, and organisations that manage industry exposure for TVET students and lecturers.
- Responding to TVET & Industry Staff Priorities: Cultivating strong working relationships with partner TVET staff and provincial industry groups and employers. Ensuring the initiative is responsive to their needs and working realities and generates excitement and commitment from these stakeholders.
- Adapting Approaches based on Emerging Trends: Working with initiative staff, continuously map skills trends and policy updates in the TVET sector and automotive components manufacturing industry. Use that knowledge to ensure the initiative adapts to these changes and trends.
- Compiling with Donor Rules: The Programme Manager will work with the IYF South Africa and global teams to ensure full compliance with all donor rules and regulations.
The Programme Managers must meet the following criteria:
- 6+ years’ project management experience in the corporate, public, or non-profit sectors, ideally with some experience managing skills development or education projects. At least two years serving as a lead project manager.
- Inquisitive and self-motivated learner. You do not need to have prior experience in the TVET college system or skills development for the automotive manufacturing sector. You do need to be committed and excited to rapidly learn about these fields and apply that learning to your work at IYF.
- Working knowledge of South Africa’s skills development policies and institutions, such as the B-BBEE Codes of Good Practice, and Sector Education Training Authorities (SETAs) policies and procedures.
- Prior experience brokering successful partnerships between industry and national or provincial government stakeholders, through co-creation of shared values and benefits.
- Demonstrated ability leading training workshops and meetings in a diverse range of settings, and with a diverse range of corporate, government, and community stakeholders. Ability to adjust communication style as needed. Strong writing skills.
- Strong MS Office skills a must, with working knowledge of OneNote and SharePoint an advantage.
- Ability to travel in all areas of the Durban and Pietermaritzburg metropolitan areas regularly, often on very short notice, and domestically with advanced notice.
- Relevant Undergraduate degree (e.g. Education, Social Sciences, Commerce, Engineering)
- Driver’s license and personal vehicle
- South African citizen or permanent resident
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page atwww.actionappointments.co.za and email your application [email protected] Please state clearly which region you are applying for.
Application Deadline: Friday 06th March 2020