Africa Check is a non-profit organisation set up in 2012 to promote accuracy in public debate and the media in Africa. The goal of Africa Check’s work is to raise the quality of information available to society across the continent. Since 2012 they have fact-checked hundreds of claims on topics from crime and race in South Africa to population numbers in Nigeria and fake health cures in countries around Africa.
Job Title: Fundraising Manager – Sponsorship & Institutional Donors
Job Location: Journalism Department of the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg
The Fundraising Manager is responsible for developing and delivering on the fundraising strategy of the organisation, raising funds from corporate and institutional donors, and supplementing existing grant funding with unrestricted funding from corporates, grant-makers and other sources. The fundraising manager will be responsible for developing sustainable funding streams to support and expand the work of the organisation.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Developing and delivering a comprehensive and coherent fundraising strategy for the organisation, which includes setting and achieving realistic time-limited fundraising targets, agreed in consultation with key staff
- Creating a sustainable and diverse fundraising portfolio, with funding streams including corporates, trusts/foundations and other grant-makers
- Supporting the development of large-scale multi-country funding proposals to international funders
- Undertaking prospect research and developing a comprehensive fundraising database that captures all relevant information, as well as handling all administrative aspects of fundraising
- Developing standardised fundraising and publicity materials for awareness- and fundraising
- Seeking new and appropriate contacts and partnerships with relevant organisations
- Leading communication with key donors and funders with the aim of cultivating, growing and sustaining long-term funding and collaboration
- Ensuring reporting to funders is accurate, transparent and timely
- Liaising with the Deputy Director and Finance Manager to ensure careful budgeting, realistic fundraising targets and coordinating timely access to funds from donors
- Contributing to AC projects by carrying out activities which may fall outside of the job description when required to do so.
The Fundraising Manager – Sponsorship & Institutional Donors will have at least a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 10 years experience with donor identification, relationship-building, fundraising and project-management, particularly with non-profit organizations.
Other skills and qualities include:
- Excellent planning, time management and organisational abilities
- The ability to work independently to the agreed goals and targets and take ownership of the fundraising programme of the organisation
- Outstanding written and verbal skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience with non-profit fundraising software would be an advantage
- An understanding of fundraising and the media in Africa
- Excellent personal contacts and connections with potential major donors
- Ability to work effectively as part of a small close-knit team
Qualities Africa Check seeks in the Fundraising Manager – Sponsorship & Institutional Donors include:
- An interest in, enthusiasm for and understanding of Africa Check’s work
- A track record of developing and implementing a resource mobilization strategy for a small but growing non-profit organisation, covering both the creation of commercial operations and developing institutional and individual donors relationships
- A hands-on approach to the work and an easy and approachable manner
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Tuesday 31st July 2018 to [email protected]