Posted on :
6 Sep, 2021
The Africa Health Research Institute (AHRI) is looking for a dynamic Professional Research Nurse to join the Household Contacts Study under Clinical Research Department .
Job Title: Professional Research Nurse
Location: Mtubatuba, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Reference #: SOM/RESNUR/017/2021/AUG
Contract Type: Contract 12 Months
The Professional Research Nurse will be primarily responsible for identifying, screening, and recruiting new study participants; facilitate specimen collection at clinic and in the home; linkage to appropriate care for participants; and to support the clinic with the additional workload created by the systematic offer of sputum and blood specimen collection for TB tests in the facility. The position will be based at our Somkhele Research Campus.
1. Diploma or Degree in Nursing
2. Current registration with SANC as a Registered Nurse
3. Valid driver’s License
4. Computer Literacy (MS Office –Word, Excel & PowerPoint)
5. Fluency in English and Zulu
1. A minimum of 3-year recognizable nursing experience after registration as professional nurse with SANC, of which at least 2 years must be
experience working in a primary health care clinic.
2. Diagnosis and treatment of TB at PHC level
3. Phlebotomy experience
4. Familiarity with data collection and capturing in a research environment
Knowledge and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of and experience of TB diagnosis, treatment and care.
2. Knowledge of COVID infection, prevention and control measures.
3. Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team, flexible and a good team player
4. Well organized and possession of the ability to plan effectively and efficiently
5. Ability to document information accurately and methodically.
6. Ability to pay close attention to detail.
1. Basic counselling and interviewing skills.
2. Good communication and interpersonal skills.
3. Good problem-solving skills
4. Responsiveness, professionalism, supportive and assertive
5. Well organised and possession of the ability to plan effectively and efficiently.
Only those candidates who meet the minimum requirements will be considered. AHRI is fully compliant with South African labour law and is committed to employment equity. This position is open to South African applicants and valid work visa holders.
AHRI reserves the right in special circumstances to accept late applications or to extend the above date to facilitate further searches. Furthermore, AHRI reserves the right not to make an appointment. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date.
Application Deadline: 17/09/2021