Under the leadership of the Division Chief of Data Center & Field Office Services, the data centers engineer is responsible for the operational effectiveness and efficiency of one Data Centre’s technology systems and networks and in ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction are maintained. Implements the agreed Data Centre technology footprint and ensures that the Data Centre architecture is adhered to. Migrates their Data Centre to new technologies, evaluates processing performance relating to machine utilization and reliability, and forecasts financial, physical, and human resource needs to meet established objectives. Support and coordinates operational activities for network/data operations, business continuance and restoration plan that isolate problems and implement pre-planned alternative routes or systems to restore service. He needs to ensure no disruption of critical systems and overseeing Data Centre operations, physical security, facility management, hardware and equipment maintenance, administration of servers, database infrastructure and the supervision of systems administration staff.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage a local team of Data Centre support staff and third parties to provide high quality business services.
- Responsible for all aspects of local data center operations including:
- Employee growth/management and operational management
- HVAC, Electricity, Racking, Cabling
- Data Centre implementation & monitoring
- Customer escalations
- Server builds, maintenance, upgrades & replacements
- Server & hardware replacements
- Emergency server repair
- Patch management
- Assistance with infrastructure project management
- Plan and manage resources required to deliver and manage local Data Centre services at agreed levels with business clients including liaison with other CIMM Divisions to ensure that incidents and problems and managed and resolved on an end-to-end basis
- To ensure the Data Centre’s operations meet a very high standard and ensuring 100% availability, reliability and maintainability
- Data Centre Solutions are fit for purpose, are signed-off by the business and are implemented / deployed with no service outages and minimal issues / ongoing need for work
- Data Centre Solutions are accepted into support at the first time of asking. Emergency and failed changes in Production systems are minimized
- Service Levels for support ticket responses and turn-around times are met and continuously improved via trend analysis
- Strong client / stakeholder feedback as evidenced via CIMM customer surveys and voice of the customer feedback
- Voice of the Customer responses are base-lined and acted upon on at least a quarterly basis and reflected in the CSIP
- Achievement of ISO 20000 Certification for agreed CIMM IT Services
- Operations Management: Day-to-day service operations with Data Centre best practices and standards linked to ITIL disciplines such as incident, problem, change, capacity and business continuity and disaster recovery management.
- Policies and Procedures: Contributes to the development of detailed operational procedures required to run Data Centre operations in the mission critical environment. Implements the agreed procedures and measures and reports on adherence to them
- Implements policies, procedures, and associated training plans for Data Centre staff.
- Managed Services: Contribute to Data Centre service transformation for hosted services with provisioning and managing environment to business customers.
- Coaching and Training: Supervision, development, coaching and leadership of the Data Centre operational staff.
- Capacity Planning: Design and implement short and long term strategic plans to ensure Data Centre capacity meets existing and future requirements.
- Responsible for the overall day-to-day operational management of all Data Centers
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Degree in computer science, software development or related business fields and/or equivalent work experience.
- Professional Certification such as ITIL Expert (v3) (Intermediary – Operational Support and Analysis) and BS15000/ISO20000 Practitioner
- Typically has 5 to 7 years of IT and business industry work experience, with at least 3 years of leadership experience in managing Data Centre Operations.
- Dynamic and self-motivated leader to provide direction under complex conditions which often includes ambiguity and uncertainty
- The incumbent must be able to build trust amongst all their contacts, across all levels within the organization in order to build a foundation for long term relationships and information exchange
- Excellent knowledge of a range of Data Centre IT Services with particular emphasis on:
- Electricity, monitoring, and HVAC systems knowledge.
- Extensive change management and process & procedure reengineering experience.
- Comprehend equipment specifications, contract terms and conditions and statements of work.
- Ability to work under pressure and hit deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication is required
- Excellent interpersonal skills coupled with a collaborative managerial style
- Exceptional communication skills, including issue resolution, negotiation and conflict management
- A strong orientation towards goal achievement
- Has detailed practical knowledge of Service Management methodologies, tools and techniques with in depth knowledge of ITIL and ISO.
- Knowledge of various Information Technology platforms (Client/Server, Data Warehouse, Internet/Intranet, Electronic Commerce, Mainframe) and how each fits within and/or complements the enterprise architecture.
Only applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are being considered for interview will be contacted. Applicants will only be considered if they submit an online application, and attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV). The AfDB President reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
[button link=”http://www.afdb.org/en/careers/current-vacancies/vacancy/data-centre-engineer-1781/” color=”lightblue” newwindow=”yes”] Click here to apply online[/button]