Posted on :
9 Mar, 2022
9 Mar, 2022
AHRI has a new and exciting opportunity for a Laboratory project officer, the purpose of the project officer is to ensure optimal and coordinated laboratory service provision to clinical research studies at the Africa Health Research Institute (AHRI).
The incumbent will report to the Head of the Department and work in close conjunction with the respective manager/supervisors of the Clinical Laboratory, Biorepository, Laboratory Data and Quality teams, as well as all other laboratory staff members and liaise with relevant staff of the different clinical trials and research studies.
The primary place of work will be at the AHRI Durban Campus, but the incumbent will be required to make periodic visits to the AHRI, Somkhele Campus.
Job Title: Laboratory Project Officer
Location: Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Reference #: DUR/LABPROOFF/MAR2022
Contract Type: Contract
Salary: Market Related
The Project Officer will be primarily responsible for coordinating the implementation of AHRI clinical based studies of varying size and complexity, needing services of the Clinical Laboratory from inception to completion.
1. Responsible for coordination (from inception to completion) of various activities relating to the management and implementation of current and new AHRI clinical research studies requiring the services of the AHRI Clinical Laboratory.
This briefly includes but is not limited to the following:
• Maintain and monitor project plans, schedules, progress, budgets and expenditure
• Attend and participate and if required, schedule, various meetings with relevant clinical project stakeholders.
• Document and follow up on important actions and decisions from meetings
• Prepare necessary presentation materials for meeting and training purposes
• Ensure laboratory readiness for commencement of studies
• Determine and implement project changes, if required and update team members
• Ensure all documentation is developed and maintained appropriately for each project
• Assess project risks and issues and provide solutions where applicable
• Undertake other project administrative tasks as may be required
2. Assist with developing and managing a Clinical Laboratory presence on the AHRI intranet (Isango)in conjunction with the Share point administrators
• Update content as and when required
• Develop dashboards of relevant information of laboratory outputs in general and specific study outputs
3. Oversee the duties of the Laboratory Administrator
• Management of stock inventory and minimum reorder quantities of consumables, reagents, test kits and other materials for various studies
• Assist with management of relationship with various key suppliers
• Assist with monitoring of supplier performance
4. Assist with other ad hoc administrative/laboratory functions as may be required (with necessary training provided)
1. B Tech, BSc Hons in Medical Microbiology, Virology or another related and relevant field.
1. Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a clinical /diagnostic or research laboratory setting
2. Experience and knowledge operating in accordance with ISO 15189 and or Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP) or similar environment, will be an advantage
3. Experience in the set-up of laboratory services for a large clinical study or trial
4. Ability to prepare and interpret flowcharts, schedules and action plans
5. Experience using computers and Microsoft applications for various tasks
1. Experience with Power BI
2. Proven work experience as a Project Coordinator or in a similar role
3. Familiarity with project risk management
4. SA Citizen or SA Resident with current work visa is an essential requirement
5. Solid organizational skills, including multi-tasking and time-management
6. Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team
7. Ability to work to tight deadlines and to be flexible
8. Exceptional listening, verbal, written and presentation skills
9. Must be willing to work overtime as and when required
As part of AHRI’s COVID-19 mitigation protocols and to increase the safety of our staff, this position has been classified as a high-risk position and as such applicants will be required to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 when applying.
Application Deadline: 22/03/2022