Posted on :
10 Jan, 2022
10 Jan, 2022
The AHRI Research Laboratory Technician’s main responsibility is perform various diagnostic and research procedures/assays as required by various research projects that include working with strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in the BSL3. He/she will perform microbiology, molecular biology and other biochemistry techniques. This must be a dedicated individual who is self-motivated, committed to service excellence and outstanding attention to detail.
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
Location: Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Reference #: DUR/TEMP/LABTECH/JAN2022
Contract Type: Contract
Salary: Market Related
This is a temporary 6 months position with a possible extension to 1 year only.
• Keep accurate records
• Maintain good clinical laboratory practice
• Conducts microbiology experiments including culture and susceptibility testing of M. tuberculosis.
• Conducts molecular biology experiments including genetic manipulation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in BSL3
• Implement and maintain sound general BSL3 and BSL2 housekeeping procedures and work effectively with others as a team to ensure delivery of quality work and a safe working environment in accordance with health and safety protocols.
• Writing of new SOP’s and reviewing of existing ones as required
• Implement corrective and preventive actions as identified
• Operate maintain and calibrate laboratory equipment to ensure that it is working efficiently and providing accurate results, this includes recording instrument maintenance and quality control results.
• Troubleshoot test and instrument issues and report incidents including instrument failures, human errors and test failures to Lab Supervisor or Diagnostic Lab Manager.
• Perform overtime/shifts, including weekends, when required.
• Employ laboratory tools including equipment and the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and various software to perform required tasks
1. Minimum National Diploma / BSc. in Microbiology
1. Up to 3 years related laboratory experience
2. Prior experience in one or more of the following is an advantage:
• Drug Susceptibility testing of M. tuberculosis
• Staining and culture of M. tuberculosis
• Molecular biology test for M. Tuberculosis
3. Mycobacterium tuberculosis BSL3 laboratory experience would be an advantage
4. High level of computer literacy
5. Applicable HPCSA registration will be advantageous
AHRI is fully compliant with South African labour law and is committed to employment equity. This position is open to South African applicants and valid work permit holders. AHRI reserves the right in special circumstances to accept late applications or to extend the above date in order to facilitate further searches. Furthermore, AHRI reserves the right not to make an appointment.
People living with disability are encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: 23/01/2022