Posted on :
8 Mar, 2011
Associated Magazines is looking for a marketing professional to create strategic marketing strategies for each of the magazine titles in its stable, as well as an integrated corporate brand strategy for the business. The overall objective of this job is to provide a marketing support to specific special projects / brand extensions for each brand, as well as executing and developing marketing strategies that will help increase circulation sales and brand awareness for the brands and the company.
• The position reports directly to the Group Publisher.
• The Marketing Manager works closely with the Editorial Director, Associate Publisher, Business Development Managers, the Magazine Editors, Art Directors, PR and events departments, online/digital department, Supply Chain Manager and Production department and service providers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
STRATEGIC PLANNING AND EXECUTION
Budgeting: Contribute information on expenses and capital requirements for the smooth running of the marketing department, and manage the mkt department’s budget in all aspects.
• Provide monthly marketing post-campaign ROI evaluation reports.
• Reporting on budget expenditure on a monthly basis.
• Stringent control of subscription costs relating to acquisition drives (including subs cards and cross-sell campaigns), renewal activities (including letters and flysheets) and fulfillment expenses (including postage rates and stationery costs).
• Inform the publisher of any decision that will affect a title’s profitability.
Brand strategy: Develop functional marketing operating plans, which directly support the business strategy. Anticipate future marketing challenges and initiate appropriate actions.
• Respond rapidly to meet the demands of changing business environment, opportunities and threats.
• Continuously evaluate the brand profiles and plan a marketing strategy for various publications and associated brand extensions to increase sales.
• Work closely with editorial director and publisher to define the market positioning, clearly articulated for each brand and point-of-sale look and feel.
• Align the PR, marketing (ATL and BTL), digital/online and circulation strategies with the overall publishing plans for each brand.
• Conceptualize digital marketing strategy relating to websites and digital campaigns. Liaise with digital staff to implement these marketing initiatives.
• Responsible for planning and implementing the marketing support according to the brand strategy.
• Brief marketing designer / agency on all design elements from conception to sign-off and the implementation of protocol to ensure deadlines are met at all times.
• Closely monitor all brand communication (across all mediums) for brand consistency and styling.
• Manage the marketing logistics of branding elements required for events across the brands to increase marketing presence and brand awareness.
• Execute trade marketing advertising and brand positioning for sales support documents.
• Provide a retail promotion solution to the Publisher; working closely with the BDM’s to develop retail marketing that fits with the overall brand strategies and publishing plan. This includes proposing new opportunities with clients for inserts, special projects and value adds.
• Provide a competitive advantage for the company’s brands on the newsstand.
• Maximise circulation volumes and revenues through accurate product placement and targeted retail promotions.
• Work with Publisher and Supply Chain Manager to create strategies to maximise existing and new retail opportunities to ensure maximum retail marketing sell through. Focus on optimizing retail exposure of the brands, attracting and growing a satisfied customer base. Ensure successful launching of new titles and associated brand extensions into the retail trade.
• Assist the BDM’s and Supply Chain Manager with circulation boosting strategies for new business for possible bulk deals – both single copies and subscriptions.
• Actively seek, pursue and secure bulk sale opportunities with clients, and prepare and present unique presentations to existing / prospective clients to generate opportunities for circulation.
• Oversee management of performance and operational processes of the subscription department.
• Manage the performance of subscription fulfillment and continuously monitor the SLA agreement.
• Responsible for the volume growth of subscriptions. Effectively manage and execute the overall subscription strategies, which maximize acquisition and retention and simultaneously develop the lifetime value of the customer.
• Maintain relationships with key role players (Ramsay Media) / clients (e.g. Discovery). Inform them of any marketing/promotional activities that are coming up.
• Strategising acquisition and renewal campaigns and possibly integrating these with fulfillment and newsstand activities.
• The expansion of digital / e-mail based acquisition drive and increased subscriber communication via this medium.
• Partner relationship management, to ensure integration of marketing activities and co-branding marketing strategies in proposals to prospective clients.
• Work closely with the Publisher to identify marketing opportunities with new and existing clients and develop them in order to extend overall spend (above-the-line and below-the-line) with each title.
• Negotiate with retail buyers for in store promotions and point-of-sale material.
• Travel as necessary and presenting the Associated Magazines brand strategy and business philosophy to any prospective client.
• Building and developing strategic alliances with organisations that have large, accessible and complimentary databases and business strategies to that of Associated Magazines.
• Establish a working knowledge of the “products and services” that Associated Magazines provides to clients with a thorough understanding of each brand’s positioning and the unique challenges facing each. Closely monitor direct and category competitors to keep abreast of what the opposition is doing in the trade.
• Stay abreast of industry trends and translate marketing intelligence into appropriate marketing actions.
• Compile regular marketing feedback reports, monthly and/or quarterly and/or presentations to Publisher.
• Establish and maintain effective channels of communications with owner, co-workers, clients, affiliates, vendors, and all other business contacts.
• Perform any additional duties as assigned by the Publisher from time to time.
• Maintain a strong example of how things should be done for your subordinates to follow: this includes excellent timekeeping (both for meetings and for submission of work by deadline); professional behavior at all work related functions and meetings.
• Ensure that all subordinates understand what is expected of them, how they should do their work and the importance of their contribution.
• Mentor and guide all subordinates regarding work related matters.
• Marketing related Diploma or Degree.
• At least three years brand management and FMCG retail marketing experience.
• Strong background in magazines and a passion for magazine publishing
• Experience of managing a marketing department in a publishing environment.
• Previous experience working with or in advertising agencies.
• Strong proven track record of networking relationships in retail trade.
• Proven track record of budget management, regularly meeting budgets, overcoming challenges and generating circulation revenue.
• The ability to manage circulation revenue including marketing and subscriptions.
• An excellent working knowledge of efficient computerized filing systems, office machines and equipment, including computer hardware and software (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Email, and Internet Explorer).
• Creative, lateral thinker.
• Good planning and organising skills.
• High level of organisational and effective time-management skills.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (written and verbal).
• Ability to work to tight deadlines, multitask, prioritise and handle a diverse workload.
• A dynamic coordinator, who can network and develop strong internal and external relationships.
• Decisive, proactive, motivated, enthusiastic, self-disciplined, problem solver.
• Attention to detail, utmost professionalism and discretion to be applied in reflecting the company profile.
Interested parties can visit our careers section on our website to register their CV and apply online using the following link: