British American Tobacco is all about freedom of choice — whether it’s our people or our products. Combined with our entrepreneurial spirit, it’s what’s driven our phenomenal success. We started trading tobacco over a hundred years ago.
Today, we’re a multibillion dollar company with more than 200 brands in our portfolio. With robust positions in each of our regional markets, our future looks equally bright too.
There’s no doubt our industry is controversial — we’re the first to admit that. But rest assured, we take a responsible approach to our trade. In each of our markets, we observe every local law regarding tobacco (in many cases going further through our own voluntary code). Not only that, we treat our farmers fairly, invest in the environment and help to sustain local communities.
British American Tobacco currently have a very exciting opportunity – an Internship in our laboratory -within Heidelberg factory.
The main deliverables for the role include:
- Providing analytical support by performing routine and non-routine analyses on Finished Products, Semi-finished products, in-process components, raw materials and packaging materials.
- Perform routine maintenance and calibration of the instruments and equipment used in the Laboratory.
- Conduct Monthly stock count within the lab and provide feedback to Senior Analyst –Laboratory QA and Methods.
- Weekly monitoring of stock level on Laboratory gasses, and replenishment of gasses
- The routine analysis of cigarette, tobacco leaf, cutrag and wrapping material samples.
- The timely preparation of the samples, equipment, reagents and standards for analyses.
- The timely input of analytical results into the database.
- Perform analyses according to prescribed test methods and in line with ISO 17025 requirements.
- Perform daily and routine maintenance on the analytical instruments.
- Participate in analyses of crosschecks and projects.
- Perform statistical process control on QA checks performed for each analysis.
- Assist with performing and compilation of Method Validation projects and reports for all ISO 17025 accreditted and non accredited methods.
- Conduct monthly stock count in the lab, collect consumables from engineering stores and replenish low stock items.
- A relevant Diploma/Degree in Science/Engineering/Analytical Chemistry
- Knowledge of chemical testing, analytical equipment (GC and HPLC) and software.
- Working knowledge of ISO 17025.
- Would be a plus:
- Competence in laboratory techniques to an Intermediate level.
- Ability to work accurately and have good attention to detail and be computer literate.
- Competence in Analytical Equipment Trouble shooting and Maintenance.
- Willingness to learn and assist when needed.
Closing Date: 25-Jan-2018
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
We also excel at developing our own people into leaders of the future. As a firm with a high-performance culture, we’ll expect a lot from you. But we’ll support you every step of the way to help you deliver. If you’re passionate and ambitious, rapid career progression is a reality here. And because we’re such a large firm (we employ more than 55,000 people worldwide), there are plenty of exciting opportunities for you to develop a truly extraordinary career.
Employing company British American Tobacco South Africa.