Posted on :
21 Jun, 2021
21 Jun, 2021
BKB Louwid is currently seeking experienced and reliable Biosecurity Practitioners who will be responsible for the Auction Biosecurity Plan at the group’s various auction venues, and will oversee compliance with the Biosecurity Rules for Livestock Agents (published in Government Gazette No. 43900 on 13 November 2020, Board Notice 135 of 2020).
Job Title: Biosecurity Practitioner: Free State & Surrounding Areas(LH242)
Location: Frankfort, Free State, South Africa
Reference #: LH242
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: Market Related
• Implementation of a reliable and accurate Auction Biosecurity Plan at each auction venue, and ensure compliance with the latest
Biosecurity Rules for Livestock Agents. The plan must ensure that all actions at each auction venue are carried out in accordance
with an auditable and traceable process.
• Ensure that the following legislation is adhered to:
– Animal Disease Act 35 of 1984
– Animal Identification Act 6 of 2002
– Stock Theft Act 57 of 1959
– Animal Protection Act 72 of 1962
– Agricultural produce Agents Act 12 of 1992 and rules of conduct
• Ensure that the documentation of all animals entering the demarcated biosecure areas at auctions venues has been verified, and
that their identification and health status has been confirmed.
• Ensure that only persons who have been decontaminated to the satisfaction of the Biosecurity Practitioner are allowed to enter the
demarcated biosecure area at auctions venues.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE:
• Bachelor of Health Science in Veterinary Technology (BHSc; BVSc; BVetNurs) or relevant qualification
• Registered with the South African Veterinary Council (SAVC)
• At least 3 years’ experience in the animal health field
• Extensive knowledge of all relevant Legislative and Regulatory frameworks regarding animal health
• Ability to work independently combined with excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent communication and reporting skills
• Analytical and problem solving skills
• Effective verbal and listening communication skills
• Time management skills
• Good computer literacy
• Decision-making skills
• Ability to manage teams
• Strong administrative skills
• Drive and energy
• Initiating action
• Impact and influence
• Before offloading of an animal at an auction, to ensure that the registered brand belongs to the owner, check the brand marking
certificate and the ID of the owner and driver/ transporter where applicable.
• Ensure that all documentation of animals, before entering the biosecure area, have been verified, identification and health status
has been confirmed.
• Any suspicious animal, or an animal that does not comply with marking requirements, or a suspected stolen animal must
immediately be reported to the local Stock Theft Unit (SAPS).
• Responsible for biosecure areas to be clearly demarcated with specific access points, and notice boards to give guidance of
biosecurity protocols to be followed.
• Ensure that all movement of third parties in biosecure areas are subject to the biosecure protocols (included in the Biosecurity Plan)
and must be diligently recorded, monitored, and managed.
• Attend to Covid-19 protocols in accordance to ‘The Covid-19 Directions Regarding Livestock Auctions’
• Arrange cleaning and disinfection of biosecure areas after every auction.
• Maintain a working knowledge of the legislative and regulatory requirements related to Animal Diseases
• Contribute to the delivery of programs and advisory services to achieve intended outcomes, compliance with relevant legislation,
policies and procedures
• Provide feedback and information on animal health related issues with the intend to assist in monitoring, evaluation, reporting and
• Undertake project activities which increase the capacity of customers to manage and deal with biosecurity issues
• Support delivery of compliance programs to ensure legislated biosecurity obligations including pest and disease management and
livestock traceability meet national performance standards
• Update and maintain records and databases to ensure that all information is accurate and that records are maintained in
accordance with relevant policies and procedures
Unless a Recruitment Agency has been requested to assist with a specific assignment and a written agreement is signed between BKB Ltd and the Agency i.r.o this assignment, all CV’s uploaded onto our SkillsMap portal by an Agency will be deemed the property of BKB Ltd (inclusive of all our subsidiaries) and no agency fees will be payable should the candidate be placed.
Application Deadline: 28/06/2021