BP Africa is well known for exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
The Refining & Marketing Segment is responsible for the supply and trading, refining, marketing and transportation of crude oil and petroleum products to wholesale and retail customers. We market our products in over 100 countries, operating primarily in Asia, Europe and North America but also in Australia, Africa and Central and South America.
The LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) Business Unit is part of the Refining and Marketing Segment within BP. It is a progressive, innovative and dynamic global business which comprises 1100 staff in 3 Performance Units covering 11 countries. We fill LPG in bottles at our filling plants across the world and sell these through our branded distributors as well as BP Retail sites. We also serve Bulk B2B and Aerosol Propellants segments directly.
Job title Plant Manager
Req ID 14119BR
Job category Operations
Sub-category Operations & Maintenance
Countries (State/Region) South Africa
Role synopsis Lead and manage the LPG depot team to ensure that they delight customers and that operations are performed in a safe and cost effective manner. This will be achieved by;
Managing the depot and ensuring that all distribution and HSE procedures are performed in accordance with the policy requirements of the company.
Managing and coordinate the activities of the areas in accordance with the policies and profit objectives set by the company.
Providing an effective and efficient bulk distribution service.
perating the company’s transport within legal requirements, company policies and procedures.
The list below is a summary of the key activites, for a comprehensive listing please refer to the Job Description for this position:
- Staff management and performance monitoring with responsibility for taking any corrective actions when necessary in accordance with company policy on personnel management and administration.
- Responsible for the training, coaching and development needs of your team
- Demonstrate and provide leadership in HSSE to ensure your team work in a responsible manner and adhere to HSSE guidelines
- Ensure that the driving licence, medicals and Permits of contractor drivers serving the LPG depot are valid.
- Effectively manage HR accountabilities such as employee performance, holidays and absence in line with the appropriate policy and reporting guidelines.
- Carry out Daily and Weekly Plant Inspections; also, with the Technical Supervisor or a company Engineer, carry out Monthly Plant Inspections and complete documentation in accordance with laid down procedures.
- Supervise Plant Inspections by third parties, e.g. authorised contractors, officials, etc.
- Ensure that the plant is operated safely and that any breakdown or leak is reported as agreed.
- Assist with the co-ordination of installating any additional plant through its construction to completion
- Resource planning to meet operational requirements.
- Recommend changes to operations strategy, policy or procedures where operational profitability, effectiveness and efficiencies can be improved.
- Control depot costs within budget allocations whilst ensuring compliance with company policy on financial controls and reporting
- To be the responsible person to act as key holder for the depot and act as call manager as per requirements of emergency call out rota.
- Co-ordinate the functions of distribution, plant and finance to achieve maximum efficiency and co-operation. Ensure financial cost control process is followed each month. For example: supervising activities, detailing work tasks and briefing drivers.
- Ensure task procedures and Task Risk Register is updated when changes occur or at least reviewed annually. Ensure that all staff understand the task procedures and operate in accordance to the procedures
- Ensure that all non-routine work carried out on the depot is performed in accordance with BP’s Control of Work Standards.
- The Job Holder is required to ensure that both they and their subordinates undertake all Company activities in accordance with the BP LPG Loss and Control System. In particular, in accordance with the Emergency Control Plan, to accept responsibility for dealing with incidents on behalf of BP LPG. This requirement is effective if the Job Holder is in receipt of an Emergency Call.
- The Job Holder is required to ensure that both they and their subordinates work as appropriate in accordance with the BP LPG RSA Quality Assurance/Technical Manual and associated documents. In particular, to ensure non-conformance reports are raised in accordance with agreed procedures.
- Co-operate with other Depot Managers and Sale Managers to ensure maximum efficiency throughout BP LPG RSA, e.g. movement of cylinders, bulk and packed gas transport and other goods.
- Checking tachograph charts to ensure compliance with the law and BP standards
- Record and report stock levels as required.
- Ordering bulk gas supplies on a weekly basis, with a daily update as required
Essential criteria & qualifications:
Preferable Technical or Science Qualification or Higher
Alternaitvely minimum 3 years supervising LPG depots
- Operations/production: 3 yrs (Critical)
- LPG: 1 year or Flammable Products – 2 years (Critical)
- Safety Leadership : 3 years (Critical)
- People Management: 2 year (Critical)
- Stock/Financial: 2 years
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Strong communicator – able to communicate with confidence and conviction, willing to challenge and question assumptions to achieve thorough understanding of issues.
- Confident presenter – happy to introduce ideas and lead discussion, able to deliver a clear message
- Organised, methodical thinker, able to assimilate data and present it in a comprehensive and clear way to different audiences.
- Understand change management process and supports business changes whilst encourages others to support and adapt to business needs
- Comfortable in managing all KPI’s and operational targets (including driver performance measures)
- Understanding of Zambesi and Mafunyane systems
- Knowledge of safe manual handling techniques.
- Knowledge of LPG properties and characteristics.
- Knowledge of Customer Care principles.
Relocation available No
Travel required No
Is this a part time position? No
How to apply:
Click on the link: http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9011247&contentId=7053220
Select “view jobs in Africa” then apply
This job expires on the 16th of September 2010