Since 2004, CareWorks has provided healthcare services including comprehensive chronic disease management, onsite health risk assessments and screening, as well as training.
Job Title: Photographic Journalist
Location: JAM South Africa
Purpose of Position:
The primary role of the Photographic Journalist is capture photo, video and story detail; editing and compiling emotional stories for marketing of JAM South Africa programmes. Careful attention must be given to image selection and edit to effectively to match with stories. All photographs and video must be accurately filed to build a media library.
This position is part of the JAM South Africa’s Marketing team to produce, facilitate, channel and support relevant corporate material for donor campaigns as well as marketing-related outcomes for website content and organisational promotional resources to its internal and external stakeholders.
The Photographic Journalist will participate in social media posting, and management, as part of a team. The goal is to achieve superior customer interest and engagement through “real life” posting on the effectiveness of our programmes and our humanitarian approach.
Photography and video: 70%
- Work with Marketing Manager and Country Director regarding images required and their intended use.
- Travel within South Africa to reach and document programming at various locations.
- Manage and maintain computer and camera equipment.
- Seek out effective stories and appealing photographs in line with objectives set.
- Edit photographs using appropriate software to meet quality standards.
- Use experience to plan photographs and ensure great subject composition. Select and adjust subjects, equipment and lighting to achieve desired effect.
- Keep up to date with industry trends, developments and new techniques and apply them in the work place.
- Manage the business aspects of the work, including administration, scheduling work, follow procedures as to all requirement and photo back-ups.
- Create artificial light, using flashes and reflectors.
- Arranging still life objects, scenes, props and backgrounds.
- Capture images in an ethical manner.
- Write copy, captions or headlines to accompany photos.
- Liaising with other professionals, including graphic designers, managers, picture researchers, commissioning editors and art directors.
- Productive writing and packaging of feature and other stories for social media and websites.
- Collaborate with Programmes department and Marketing functions to produce and edit all material as required.
- Contribute video, photo and story information for the production of various internal communication channels and communiqué.
Social Media: 15%
- Develop and implement JAM’s global social media strategy
- Post to and monitor a range of social media accounts, simultaneously
- Help grow social reach, engagement, and referral traffic
- Spot social media trends, including new platforms and changes to existing ones
- Brainstorm and generate search-friendly headlines and social-friendly copy with team
- Write content that is suitable for various social media platforms
- Drive engagement and conversations with the community and ultimately establishing brand loyalty
- Execute and optimise content during campaigns to ensure momentum and optimal visibility
- Keeping up-to-date with the latest trends within the digital and social media landscape
- Analyse, review and report on effectiveness of campaigns to maximise results
- Adobe Suite experience
- A journalistic, enquiring mind and excellent ability to interview and capture brief, descriptive text
- Time management and multitasking skills – ability to prioritise and track time
- An in-depth knowledge, understanding of and proficiency on social media platforms, their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn and Pinterest, as well as emerging platforms, etc.) and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience fulfilling a similar role
- Good technical understanding and can pick up new tools quickly
- Maintains excellent writing and language skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Friendly, relational personality
- Valid driver’s licence
- Experience within an NGO environment will be an advantage
- Languages: English is essential
- Computer literacy is essential. An intermediate or advanced knowledge of MS office is required
- Excellent office administration and organizational skills
- Excellent written communication.
- Passion for social networking, blogging and use of the internet
- Even-tempered, highly confidential individual
- Team player
- Independent worker
- Must be willing to work overtime from time to time
- Able to use Apple Mac / Windows
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills
- Functions well under pressure
- Team player, with proven track record of working harmoniously within teams
- Excellent computer skills (additional skills in word processing, Excel, PowerPoint and desktop publishing are advantageous)
- An energetic, analytical, self-starting approach to projects that involve significant responsibility and fixed deadlines
- Knowledge of traditional film and digital photography.
- Use Adobe Suite software
- Degree or diploma in Photography, Fine Arts, Journalism or related field AND
- Five years photography and video experience; any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- It’s essential that photographer have the ability to work across all platforms, including broadcast, print, online, and social media.
- MS Office
- ORM and social media tools such as Sprout Social, Hootsuite, Radian is advantageous
Send your CV to: [email protected]
Application Deadline: Saturday, 9 November, 2019