CBM is an international Christian development organisation, committed to improving the quality of life of persons with disabilities in developing countries. It aims to reach the goal through partnerships with organisations in the countries where CBM has a presence.
The CBM Regional Office for Southern Africa, based in Cape Town, supports partners in eight countries in Southern Africa in various ways. One is to assist them to build/improve their managerial and leadership capacity (along with technical skills), and to develop robust and sustainable programmes aimed at improving the lives of persons with disabilities through high-quality services.
Job Title: Finance Officer
Job Location: Cape Town
Reporting to the Regional Office Finance Manager the Finance Officer will be responsible and accountable for various finance matters in the Regional and Country Offices. Ensuring strong financial discipline is supported in Country Offices finances, implementing control and compliance checks to ensure donor funds are utilised for in line with CBM and donor agreements.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Supporting the Country Offices in successfully setting up and maintaining strong control processes and overseeing/ supervising financial resources in compliance with CBM financial policies, standards and procedures, and with specific donor requirements and contracts to the highest standard
- Assisting with audit requests made by CBMs Regional Office auditors and the auditors for the Country Offices and Partners
- Providing assistance with the preparation and support of the annual audit of Regional Office accounts and prepare, manage and implement follow-up plans based on given recommendations
- Supporting the Country Offices with the coordination of all aspects of the annual and multi-year budget process with partners, in line with CBM’s budget guidelines
- Supporting the conduct of the financial and legal compliance part of partner assessments and flag potential high risk entities and partners that might require capacity building
- Providing assistance with the management of the finances of the Regional Office in line with CBM standards, local regulations, and applicable donor regulations
- Submitting timely and complete reports to the Regional Finance Manager for discussion with Regional Hub Director and International Office as per agreed timetable and in line with established reporting requirements
- Participating and actively contributing to learning platforms in the region and at the international level within CBM upon request, and make recommendations for enhancements to relevant policies and procedures to create operational efficiencies
The Finance Officer must meet the following criteria:
- Degree or Diploma in Finance, Accounting, Internal Audit; professional
- Qualification in Accounting an advantage (e.g. ACCA, CIMA, CIA, SAIPA)
- A minimum of 1-year of experience in a similar position ensuring effective financial systems and controls, including institutional grant management particularly with an international development organization
- An effective team player who is able to work diplomatically and with sensitivity with individuals from a variety of cultures, professions and personal backgrounds
- Advantage of lived experience with disability
- Ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines
- Thoroughness and business acumen
- Attention to effective written and verbal communication
- Ability to perform all tasks in a confidential manner
- Willingness to commit and adhere to CBM’s values and Child Safeguarding Policy
Extensive travelling to local provinces and neighboring countries, such as Madagascar, Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe, up to 12 weeks per year.
This position would be limited to duration of 2 years.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Thursday, 28th February 2019 to [email protected]