For The Centre for Applied Legal Studies (CALS) is a civil society organisation based at the School of Law at the University of the Witwatersrand. CALS is also a law clinic, registered with the Law Society of the Northern Provinces. As such, CALS connects the worlds of both academia and social justice. CALS’ vision is a socially, economically and politically just society where repositories of power, including the state and the private sector, uphold human rights.
Job Title: Director
- Develop and implement a strategic vision for CALS
- Lead the creation of an institutional culture conducive to achieving CALS’ vision, our collective approach to wellbeing and which puts transformation into practice
- Guild the development of CALS’ programmatic work; managing the CALS team of staff
- Raise funds for CALS and managing donor relationships
- Financial oversight of the organisation
- Work closely with the university structures and advisory board to ensure sound organisational practices, accountability and compliance with university policy
- Engage in academic research, advocacy and teaching in the human rights field
- Represent CALS in a variety of forums, including in engagements with the media, government, the private sector, civil society, CALS’ clients, and international and regional institutions
- A legal academic at the level of Professor (applicants should hold a PhD and must provide evidence of substantial scholarly work published in refereed journals) or Associate Professor (applicants should hold a Master’s degree, preferably a PhD and demonstrate significant refereed output) or Adjunct Professor (a practitioner of stature with a distinguished record in the field of human rights)
- Understanding of the socio-economic environment in the country and the region
- Demonstrate a commitment to advancing social justice and have a background in some of CALS’ areas of work
- Possess leadership abilities and managerial competence, and show a record of legal advocacy, evidenced by involvement in human rights litigation or campaigns in the field of human rights
- Experience in raising funds and managing donor relationships, the ability to represent CALS in multiple forums and experience in developing networks, collaborations and partnerships
To apply submit a cover letter containing the contact number of three referees, a detailed CV, certified copies of degrees/diplomas, an official academic transcript and a writing sample of no more than 10 pages, on the Wits i-Recruitment platform located at https://irec.wits.ac.za
Should you experience difficulties with the online application, please contact Ms Zelda Stroud, Senior Human Resources Officer, at [email protected]
CALS is in the process of a leadership transition in order to advance transformation.
Therefore, only applications from individuals from previously disadvantaged population groups will be considered.
The University reserves the right not to appoint if suitable candidates are not found.
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: 15th June, 2018