CSIR Consulting and Analytical Services (CAS) unit has a vacancy for a Technical Specialist in the Chemical Analytical Services Laboratory. The purpose of the job is to develop and implement new analytical methods in the laboratory; solve complex analytical chemistry/microbiology problems; approve results; and train and develop staff. Also to ensure the laboratory can attract new business; retain existing business; reduce costs; and grow technical competence. This position is based in Rosebank, Cape Town.
- Develop and validate complex analytical methods that are fit for their intended purpose.
- Conduct analyses and produce results using complex and sophisticated instrumentation (e.g. LC-MS/MS, GC-MS, ICP-MS, PCR) and in complex matrices (e.g. food).
- Pro-actively develop and implement new methods, procedures and technology into the laboratory that will reduce costs, reduce waste, increase throughput, lower detection limits, etc.
- Understand both clients’ and the laboratory’s technical requirements and to translate these into developing methods that are fit-for-purpose in terms of quality, cost and time.
- Interpret data scientifically and use specialist knowledge to ensure that correct information is provided.
- Keep abreast with scientific developments and trends in analytical chemistry as it pertains to the laboratory’s business.
- Provide guidance and input into the technical direction the laboratory needs to take both in the short- and long-term. This will include the Capex strategy for the laboratory.
- Train and mentor both junior and senior analysts and set the standard for technical excellence in the laboratory.
- Forge links with the academic sector and within the scientific community (e.g. Chromsa).
- Adhere to the laboratory’s quality system and EHS procedures.
- Take technical accountability for the laboratory’s results that is, technical signatory for all laboratory methods.
- Take responsibility for the upkeep and maintenance of complex analytical instruments.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s or Honours degree in analytical chemistry or microbiology. A Master’s or doctoral degree would be a strong recommendation.
- At least 7-10 years’ experience in analytical chemistry or microbiology with at least five years of those in a similar laboratory environment.
- Must have thorough understanding of the requirements of ISO 17025.
- Ability to communicate technical information to a diverse audience drawing on sound understanding of scientific principles in solving complex technical problems.
- Proficient in the various components of analytical chemistry and must have expert knowledge in specific aspects (e.g. GC-MS, LC-MS/MS, ICP-MS, PCR).
- Must have sound knowledge of analytical chemistry as it relates to the laboratory’s business.
- Ability to interpret scientific data and to apply specialised knowledge to ensure required information is provided.
- Ability to demonstrate the ability to interact with clients, subordinates, peers and superiors.
- Computer literacy and competency in MS Office. Open Office suite will be a recommendation.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work accurately and well under pressure.
How to Apply for Chemistry Careers
Click on the “Apply Now” button below or here to apply online
Closing date: 05 June 2013
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at [email protected]. Please do not submit your application to this mailbox.