NMISA: Chemistry Graduate / Internship Opportunity
To assist in the research, development, realisation and maintenance of National Measurement Standards for inorganic analysis, and disseminate traceability from these standards to industry, thereby supporting South African industry
Duties And Responsibilities
- Operate and perform measurements using the required equipment in the field of Inorganic Analysis. This may include activities related to:
- Sample preparation employing techniques such as microwave digestion, extraction techniques, etc.
- Preparation of primary and secondary calibration standards
- Preparation of candidate matrix and high purity reference materials, including:
- Splitting and bottling
- Testing homogeneity and stability
- Value assignment through ICPMS and ICP-OES analyses
- ICP-OES analysis
- Analysis by Ion Chromatography
- Adherence tNMISA’s policies and procedures, perform all duties in line with the Total Quality Management System and comply with all laboratory rules as well as laboratory specific EHS requirements.
- The incumbent will generate certificates of analysis and reports under supervision for the purpose of reporting measurement results and meeting predetermined deliverables.
- Assisting in administrative duties including purchasing of laboratory consumables
- Initiate and follow up on the timely procurement of any equipment, instruments, consumables or other expenses required texecute the duties specified
- Participate in metrology skills transfer by attending courses and conferences
Educational Qualification And Experience
- BSc(Hons) degree specialising in analytical chemistry
- Knowledge and experience with analytical quantification procedures
- Knowledge and some exposure to ICPMS, ICP-OES and/or Ion Chromatographic instrumentation
- Knowledge of sample preparation techniques for ICP and chromatographic analysis
- Sound mathematical and statistical knowledge Ability to prepare scientific reports
- Computer literacy and proficiency in MS Word and Excel
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is self-motivated and very detail conscious, dependable and will act in an understanding and helpful manner while performing tasks associated with the position. The position also requires being honest and ethical, being pleasant with others and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
How To Apply
Interested and suitably qualified persons may forward a comprehensive CV and scanned copies of qualifications as well as ID to NMISA Human Resources at [email protected] or fax 086 266 5529. Clearly indicate which position you are applying for.
Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only.
Closing Date: 31 August 2015