Chemonics International Inc., a US-based international development organization, seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for the USAID VukaNow Activity in South Africa. This Activity supports the shared commitments of the U.S. Government (USG), the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC), member states, private sector partners, and civil society to dramatically decrease wildlife crime across Southern Africa. The purpose of the Activity is to coordinate learning and support strategic regional activities to address wildlife crime challenges. This position will be based in Pretoria, South Africa.
Job Title: Chief of Party
Location: South Africa
The COP will be a seasoned natural resource management and/or wildlife crime professional with exceptional leadership experience. S/he will have demonstrated experience delivering results in complex environments at national and local levels across Southern Africa and with a variety of public, private, and civil society stakeholders; the ability to effectively work across different cultures; and extensive experience managing diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide overall project leadership, management, and technical direction;
- Collaborate with extensive networks in the region, including regional environmental NGOs and institutions and government counterparts, to engage partner groups in advancing the LEAP Strategy;
- Lead the establishment and management of the LEAP Partnership and ensure activity implementation is on schedule and budget;
- Oversee the learning advisor, supervising components of the learning program and providing direct technical assistance to landscapes and grantees in landscape gaps;
- Coordinate with partners and brief trusted stakeholders on sensitive information to facilitate collaboration and information sharing;
- Lead annual work planning and reporting, supervising activity monitoring, evaluation, and learning to ensure adaptable, flexible programming based on changing trafficking information and context;
- Serve as the primary liaison with USAID and ensure the activity’s overall compliance with contractual obligations, purpose, and objectives.
- 15 years of experience developing networks for conservation in Southern Africa;
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing and implementing environmental projects in southern Africa in a progressively more responsible positions; at least three years as a COP or project director preferred;
- Advanced degree in natural resource management, ecology, biodiversity, or other relevant field;
- Expertise in promoting collaboration between stakeholders to execute locally formulated solutions;
- Experience working with government agencies and transnational government organizations, and possessing a strong relationship with SADC and other partner organizations;
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills;
- Fluency in written and oral English required.
Please apply at https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/f9207fb436864f1099b539535a010260 . Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Application: September 27, 2019