Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Fire Officer located in Milnerton, South Africa through October 7, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Manages response efforts for all emergencies within the refinery unless relieved by the Fire Chief. Serves as Initial facility Incident Commander which is responsible for the safety of all responders to an incident onsite and to all Chevron responders to an incident offsite. Is responsible for establishing a Unified Command with local authorities when mutual aid assistance is required. Responds to requests for mutual aid assistance from the City of Cape Town Fire Department
- Is Chevron’s initial Public Affairs contact for residences and businesses in the surrounding communities after hours only. Investigates noise and odor complaints after hours, both external & internal to determine cause and origin. Works with Operations department to prevent or reduce operating conditions from impacting the environment and the surrounding communities
- Investigates all spills/releases after hours on shift in order to determine environmental impact and to ensure safe and environmentally sound clean up procedures are used. Initiates initial notification after hours to authorities when notification is required. Trains crew to be familiar with notification procedures
Conducts gas tests using appropriate testing equipment for the purpose of allowing entry into confined spaces and attend all Hazard Identification sessions for high risk work. Ensure a rescue plan is in place for all confined space entries. Provide medical/rescue standby at high risk confined space entries
- Conduct tests on all fixed, portable, and motorized firefighting equipment located in the Refinery, KT, Saldanha and at the Cape Town Port. This includes all the Fire Department vehicles (Fire Trucks, Foam Tankers, Forward Control Vehicle, Ambulance, bakkies), all mobile trailers (Foam and water) and all small gear (hoses, branches, bunker gear, SCBA’s i.e), for operability and condition, assuring that all equipment and supplies are intact and ready for use at any time. Reports results to Fire Chief and ensure works orders are submitted in order to resolve any deviations. Weekly pump test on all Fire Trucks
- Inspects all firefighting equipment (extinguisher, hoses, hydrants, monitors, SCBA’s) in the Refinery, KTF, Saldanha and in Cape Town Harbor. Runs weekly pump tests on all fire trucks
- Establishes, supports, & audits Shift Emergency Response Team members & shift Fire Fighter performance to ensure personnel are competent in all of their responsibilities. Conducts Table Top Exercises on shift and critiques performance of crew and ERT and ensure any action items are completed. Assists the Chief Fire Officer to conduct drills with the Emergency Management on-call organization periodically
- Supports the Shift Emergency Response Team program and ensuring sufficient number of volunteers (SERT members) are maintained on crew. Responsible for all on shift training sessions (Fire, Hazmat, medical and Rescue) with the Shift Emergency Response Teams which includes being an Instructor on the Advanced Petrochemical Firefighting course at (Petro SA and SASOL Secunda). Trains the local Fire Service on Petro chemical Fires.
- Conduct Table Top Exercises on shift with SERT members and develop new Emergency Response Pre Plans
- Performs miscellaneous work as directed by the Chief Fire Officer in order to ensure the Fire Department provides adequate support to the continuous safe operation of the Refinery.
- Diploma in Fire Technology (SEASI) or Graduate in Fire Engineering Science (IFE) or Technicon Diploma
- Hazmat Technician (IFSAC accredited)
- Fire Fighter 2 (IFSAC accredited)
- Fire Instructor 1 (IFSAC Accredited)
- Basic Ambulance Assistant (Registered with HPCSA)
- High Angle Rope Rescue
- Confine Space Rescue
- Fire Prevention Course
- Advanced Petrochemical Firefighting Course
- Advanced Petrochemical Fire Fighting Course Instructor
- Code C drivers license
- Pump Operator Course
- 5 – 6 years experience in a petrochemical Refinery Fire Department.
- 8 Years Minimum experience at the Provincial Fire Departments with in depth Knowledge of the Petrochemical industry, Confine Space work, permit to work systems and auditing
- Amenable to work on shifting schedules
Relocation may be considered within Chevron South Africa parameters.
Selected candidates will work in South Africa under the local payroll system and benefits.
Selections will be made in line with the Chevron South Africa Employment Equity plan.
How to Apply
[button link=”https://www.chevron.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=32733&CurrentPage=1″ color=”lightblue”] Click here to apply online[/button]