Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Fire Fighter located in Milnerton, South Africa through October 7, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Operates fire trucks during fire emergencies as well as operation of all other fire equipment as directed by Fire Officer and to provide SME assistance on all fire equipment to the Shift Emergency Response Team Members
- Responds to any injury with the onsite ambulance and is qualified to administer Advanced First Aid Care. Takes and records vital signs and stabilizes injured person(s) for transportation (either by Fire/Rescue personnel or by outside agencies). Conducts high angel and confined space rescues. Provides assistance in the onsite clinic during office hours and after hours to any injured person
- Conducts gas tests using appropriate testing equipment for the purpose of allowing entry into confined spaces and attend all Hazard Identification sessions for high risk work. Assist the Fire Officer to ensure a rescue plan is in place for all confined space entries. Provide medical/rescue standby at high risk confined space entries
- Assist the Fire Officer to Conduct tests on all fixed, portable, and motorized firefighting equipment located in the Refinery, KT, Saldanha and at the Cape Town Port. This includes all the Fire Department vehicles (Fire Trucks, Foam Tankers, Forward Control Vehicle, Ambulance, bakkies), all mobile trailers (Foam and water) and all small gear (hoses, branches, bunker gear, SCBA’s i.e), for operability and condition, assuring that all equipment and supplies are intact and ready for use at any time. Reports results to Fire officer and ensure works orders are submitted in order to resolve any deviations. Weekly pump test on all Fire Trucks
- Performs daily, monthly and annual inspections of all firefighting equipment (extinguisher, hoses, hydrants, monitors, SCBA’s) in the Refinery, KTF, Saldanha and in Cape Town Harbor
- Assists Fire Officer in the weekly test run of all Fixed Fire Water pumps (7), the annual pump performance test and 5 yearly flow test of the entire fire water system
- Assists the Fire Officer in all training sessions (Fire, Hazmat, medical and Rescue) for the Shift Emergency Response Teams which includes being an Instructor on the Advanced Petrochemical Firefighting course at (Petro SA and SASOL Secunda). Assists to train the local Fire Service on Petrochemical Fires. Conducts Table Top Exercises on shift with SERT members and develop new Emergency Response Pre Plans
- Maintains Daily Routine workbook and maintains records on equipment inventory and condition as required. Assists the Fire Officer to ensure that Foam Stock levels are adequate at all times
- Assists the Fire Officer to Investigate noise and odor complaints after hours, both external & internal to determine cause and origin. Works with Operations department to prevent or reduce operating conditions from impacting the environment and the surrounding communities
- Performs miscellaneous work as directed by the Fire Officer in order to ensure the Fire Department provides adequate support to the continuous safe operation of the Refinery
- Supports (24/7) the Refinery, Tanker Truck Loading Terminal, Facilities located withing the Port of Cape Town, Killarney Tank Farm, Saldanha Pump station and Pipe line
- Hazmat operations (IFSAC accredited)
- Fire Fighter 2 (IFSAC accredited)
- Basic Ambulance Assistant (Registered with HPCSA)
- High Angle Rope Rescue (Accredited Course)
- Confine Space Rescue (Accredited Course)
- Advanced Petrochemical Firefighting Course
- Code C drivers license
- Pump Operator Course
- 3-4 years experience in a petrochemical Refinery Fire Department.
- 5 Years Minimum experience at the Provincial Fire Departments with Knowledge of the Petrochemical industry, Confine Space work, permit to work systems and auditing
- Amenable to work on shifting schedules
Relocation may be considered within Chevron South Africa parameters.
Selected candidates will work in South Africa under the local payroll system and benefits.
Selections will be made in line with the Chevron South Africa Employment Equity plan.
How to Apply
[button link=”https://www.chevron.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=32734&CurrentPage=1″ color=”lightblue”] Click here to apply online[/button]