Common Good is a Christian faith-based, not-for-profit organisation founded by Common Ground Church in 2005, working in a range of communities. We’re passionate about addressing issues of social justice that challenge our city. We seek to make a positive and lasting impact in the areas of early life, education and employment so that individuals and communities across Cape Town can build brighter futures for themselves.
In June 2016, Common Good was appointed as a School Operating Partner (SOP) in the Collaboration Schools Initiative, a pilot project of the WCED. The initiative aims to improve educational outcomes in our non-fee-paying government schools through providing increased educational and operational support and strengthening governance, leadership and management. As a school operating partner Common Good is involved in the systematic transformation of a school -working in partnership with the SGB, SMT, teaching staff, non-teaching staff and learners to drive progress and improvement.
Job Title: Finance Manager
Job location: Cape Town
Report to: The CEO and will form part of the Common Good Leadership Team, act as the treasurer of the SGB’s
The duties and responsibilities of the job are individual and varied, providing a service to Common Good as an organization including the Education Collaboration School’s initiative. The successful individual will be responsible for the following duties, which are not limited to:
- Act as the first point of contact for all finance related questions
- Overall management of the organisations finance, planning, cost efficiency, reporting and analytics, and financial planning strategies for all of the organisation’s programmes.
- Assist in conducting financial modelling to support and govern all programmes.
- Ensure compliance of financial and administrative guidelines and procedures
- Ensure all financial policies are up to date
Statutory and General Reporting:
- Manage all Common Good’s financial accounting and reporting systems
- Monitor all operating and capital expenditure for all projects within Common Good
- Compile, review and distribute monthly financial reports for all projects within Common Good
- Ensure the financial reporting requirements for all Common Good’s funding agreements are timeously adhered to
- Assist the Management Team with formulation and implementation of financial reports and scaling projects
- Variance Analysis Income Statement and Balance Sheet
- Ensure all legislative requirements for Common Good are met and all required returns are submitted on time
- Assist with Preparation for Board meetings and presentation report of financial information for Board meetings
- Manage, compile and maintain accurate project budgets and forecasts for all Common Good projects
- Work with the COO and CEO to ensure accurate forecasting
- Prepare and overall responsibility for the annual audit and of the annual financial statements
- Balance Sheet and Income statement schedules
- Variance Analysis Income Statement and Balance Sheet
- Ensure the integrity of the company’s financial systems
General Accounting and Taxation:
- Petty cash control
- Manage monthly cash flow requirements
- Understanding and raising of accruals, provision and repayments
- Full-function accounts payable
- Reconciling and maintaining Income received in advance
- Review VAT 201prepation, reconciliation and submission
- Review, analysis and improvement of finance processes.
- Supply the HR Management team with financial information for all HR requirements
- Review monthly payroll and submitting the required statutory payroll returns
- Manage the finance team (Junior Accountant and Bookkeeper). Measuring KPI’s
- Build and maintain relationships with team leaders of each Common Good initiative
- Attend School Governing Body meetings in the position of school treasurer
- Cash flow management including cash flow forecasting and analysis
- Regulate school spending based on budget allocations and in compliance with finance policies.
- BCom Accounting Degree
- Completed articles with a minimum of five years’ financial management experience essential
- CA (SA) Advantageous
- Willingness to contribute to the values and ethos of Common Good is essential.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and bookkeeping programmes
- Sound understanding of VAT, PAYE and company statutory requirements
- Experience and understanding of financial and payroll processes and systems
- Strong financial/costing/accounting and analytical skills
- Financial Reporting and Budgeting
- Financial statements
- Relationship management with key stakeholders
- Working knowledge of the latest accounting standards and interpretations essential
- Interpersonal skills, the ability to develop positive working relationships with individuals and teams’ essential
- Proactive with good self-leadership
- Advanced problem-solving and decision-making abilities
- Resilient and open to working with various personalities
- Competent communicator
- Approachable and trustworthy
- Mature and responsible attitude towards work with the ability to take ownership of projects
- Ability to successfully multi-task and manage financial projects across all of Common Good’s diverse projects
- Adaptable to new projects and requirements
- Attention to detail
- Time management and organisational skills
Submit a motivational cover letter, your CV and two recent work references to Stacey Calvert [email protected] indicate the position title in the subject line.
Application Deadline: Friday, 26 July, 2019