Conservation South Africa, as a local affiliate of Conservation International, is committed to helping societies adopt a more sustainable approach to development one that considers and values nature at every turn and improves human well-being through the conservation of healthy ecosystems and the goods and services they provide. Conservation South Africa seeks to influence policy, develop markets, engage the private sector, and support communities to develop and implement conservation – based economic growth models and long-term human well-being.
CSA’s Rangeland Restoration Programme combines restoration best practice, job creation, market access and integrated freshwater land stewardship to enable restoration and sustainable farming at scale within Maputaland-Pondoland-Albany Hotspot. This position provides for dedicated capacity to carry out monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of ecological interventions and restoration activities in existing project areas.
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator
Location: K2C Hoedspruit, Limpopo
The following activities will be required from the successful applicant:
- Familiarize yourself with CSA’s M&E protocols by attending a start-up training and self-study;
- Conduct a quarterly online survey using the CSA M&E framework;
- Assist to conduct field surveys as required;
- Coordinate the secure data management of GIS and other data according to an agreed data management plan;
- Co-ordinate the landscape-level collection, vetting, processing and secure storage of monitoring data via weekly collections of relevant documentation; a quarterly online survey; and regular ground-based surveys;
- Engage, communicate and manage risks in communal areas so that conservation actions and monitoring are facilitated;
- Participate in developing CSA proposals for projects with M&E requirements.
- Participate in presenting findings from the online survey to CSA during quarterly reports and bi-annual MERL (Monitoring Evaluation and Learning) sessions;
- Assist the M&E Manager to refine existing M&E frameworks of both CSA and partners;
- Assist in updating MERL, M&E (CSA and NRM) protocol documents as required.
- Relevant Honors degree in natural sciences, M&E or relevant science discipline;
- Valid RSA Driving License
- Proficiency using Excel and preferably R data software;
- Proficiency in using GIS software such as QGIS and ArcGIS;
- Knowledge of Sharepoint (preferable)
- A supporting qualification in M&E and NRM measurement is preferred;
- 2 to 4 years working experience in environment related field (flexible depending on Education);
- Ability to creatively manage non-routine or unexpected social and environmental situations;
- Previous background in environmental monitoring will be an advantage;
- Experience engaging and coordinating stakeholders in the environmental or development sector will be an advantage.
Please submit your abbreviated CV (no longer than 3 pages) with contact details of three referees with a cover letter to: email@example.com using the reference (M&E-K2C-CSA) Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Application Deadline: 25th March 2020