Conservation South Africa, as a local affiliate of Conservation International, is committed to helping societies adopt a more sustainable approach to development one that considers and values nature at every turn and improves human well-being through the conservation of healthy ecosystems and the goods and services they provide. Conservation South Africa seeks to influence policy, develop markets, engage the private sector, and support communities to develop and implement conservation-based economic growth models and long-term human well-being.
Job Title: Landscape Manager
Job Location: Matatiele, Eastern Cape
Salary: Package will be commensurate with experience
This position is full time
This position provides for dedicated capacity to oversee ecological interventions and restoration activities in existing project areas within Mzimvubu Catchment in the Eastern Cape.
- Provide strategic direction and guidance to the CSA Eastern Cape Landscape demonstration team including helping define a vision, strategy, and action plan for the integration of existing rangeland restoration, One Health and Meat Naturally work under the overall theme of innovative solutions to Catchment Management and Freshwater Conservation
- Oversee integrated approaches and restoration plans for participating communities and work with local government to understand how healthy ecosystems play a role in resilience to the impacts of climate change
- Participate in, and contribute to regular CSA senior management team meetings
- Contribute to CSA fundraising proposals and actively raise funds for the Eastern Cape Landscape demonstration projects
- Manage the proper functioning of CSA Eastern Cape programme in line with set organisational policies, procedures and delegated authority
- Manage the budget of the Eastern Cape Landscape office and authorise all expenditure as cost centre manager
- Manage the performance of, technical lead staff and ensure appropriate development and coaching/mentorship opportunities are put in place to support succession planning
- Oversee implementation of Natural Resource Management Programme Expanded Public Works Programme according to the standard policies of Working for Water
- Provide strategic guidance to the WASH / One Health programme in the Mzimvubu catchment area
- In collaboration with the Research Director and other relevant staff, strategically input on Monitoring and Evaluation activities pertaining to restoration and livestock management and CSA social initiatives
- Represent CSA in community and municipal stakeholder meetings including active participation in the Umzimvubu Catchment Partnership Programme
- Ensure accurate and timeous reporting information to NRM project
- Lead vital community engagements that pertain to CSA’s work in the Eastern Cape landscape and delegate lower level community engagements to suitable team members
- Serve as the Conservation International Africa Division point person on freshwater and work in close collaboration with Freshwater Lead in Global Strategies
- Communication skills, fluency in English and IsiXhosa are an absolute minimum requirement for this position, without which your application cannot be considered
- Knowledge of Sesotho will be an advantage
- Preferred minimum of eight to ten years’ management experience including extensive people management and the ability to work in and lead a high performing team
- Experience in managing budgets and basic managerial finance knowledge
- Tertiary education in Natural Sciences, preferably a background in integrated water resource management, (eco)hydrology, freshwater conservation, or related field
- Practical community engagement experience with an understanding and passion for working with rural people
- Experience working with Expanded Public Works Programme
- Valid Code B Drivers licence
- Conservation Planning at Landscape Scales
- Analytical skills making use of available software
- GIS conversant, not necessarily at expert level
- Previous success in fundraising for projects
- Physically fit
- Previous restoration and livestock experience
To apply submit your abbreviated CV (no longer than three pages) with contact details of three contactable referees with a cover letter to [email protected] using the reference EC/LM
Candidates who have received no response within 14 days of the closing should kindly assume that their application was unsuccessful.
CSA reserves the right not to fill this position.
The position will be required to travel 30% of the time to support programme delivery.
Application Deadline: 28th September, 2018