About the job:
The CSIR: Defence, Peace, Safety and Security (DPSS) unit has 10 vacancies for In-service Trainees. The unit positions itself as the strategic science, engineering and technology (SET) partner of state departments and agencies in defence, peace, safety and security, as well as the aerospace-related industry. As such, it develops its people to operate as experts in SET disciplines and to have systems insight and application domain understanding. It contributes to the national need for skilled SET people through programmes with universities and leading laboratories.
The unit has a number of positions for outstanding undergraduate students in the following competency domains:
- Aeronautic systems;
- Command control and information warfare;
- Landwards sciences;
- Optronic sensor systems;
- Radar and electronic warfare; and
- Technology for Special Operations.
- Design, plan and execute experiments under supervision.
- Assist in test set-ups.
- Maintain good housekeeping and safety practicesin-depth analysis and objective interpretation of data under supervision.
- Contribute to writing reports and manuscripts.
- Contribute to presenting data in a poster format or orally.
- Perform operational responsibilities including, infrastructure, equipment, GLP and SHE.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- The minimum education qualification will be the completion of at least two years’ theoretical component of a national diploma or a Bachelor’s degree in engineering & P1 with completed academic subjects.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate an in-depth understanding of theory with the ability to apply knowledge.
- A strong work ethic (e.g. accountability and reliability) and the ability to work under supervision within a dynamic team environment.
- The following competencies are critical for this position:
- Sound technical knowledge;
- Integrity and lateral thinking ability; and
- Knowledge and appreciation of a cross-disciplinary project team environment.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to contribute across the boundaries imposed by classical scientific disciplines.
- Strong interpersonal skills involving the ability to work effectively cross-functionally and cross-culturally.
How to Apply
Closing date: 30 April 2014
Duration: (6-12 months’ contract positions)