Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC seeks individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people in the Southern African region and demonstrate leadership, versatility and integrity in their work. We are seeking exceptional Pretoria, South Africa-based candidates for the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP).
The USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP) works to advance energy policy and regulatory reform, and accelerate investment to increase power generation and access to electricity throughout the region. According to World Bank data, less than 25% of the non-South African population living in the Southern African region have access to electric power. The limited reliable power affects the competitiveness of Southern African industry, agriculture, and the economic opportunity and health conditions for rural populations, women, and youth.
Through strengthening the enabling environment and facilitating public and private transactions, SAEP leverages the momentum of private investment to help focus SAEP’s resources in ways that best support the reform of national and regional energy ecosystems. At the same time, SAEP produces the tangible results needed to create a sustainable cycle of additional reforms, increased investment and continued political will.
Job Title: Outcome 1 Deputy Lead
Position Description, Objective & Responsibilities:
Deloitte is seeking an Outcome 1 Deputy Lead to provide support to the Project team in the successful implementation of all aspects of the Project’s Work Plan and achievement of the project objectives. SAEP’s technical approach is organized around the following five outcome areas:
- Improve regulation, planning and procurement for energy
- Improve commercial viability of utilities
- Improve regional harmonization and cross-border trade
- Renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies and practices locally demonstrated
- Increase human and institutional capacity
The SAEP core technical team includes an Outcome Lead for each of the five areas. Outcome Leads are responsible for coordinating all of the project’s activities under the outcome areas. Outcome Leads build and maintain relationships with project counterparts, scope activities / interventions and gain counterpart buy-in, develop and manage the execution of outcome activities and work with other Outcome Leads and Country Managers to ensure careful alignment of project activities and replication of successful activities throughout the region.
This position, Outcome 1 Deputy Lead, will support the Outcome 1 Lead in the following ways:
- Provide leadership during times when the Outcome Lead is unavailable.
- Provide technical skills that complements the Outcome 1 Lead’s skills.
- Provide managerial support to the Outcome 1 Lead.
As directed by the Outcome 1 Lead, the Employee shall support the Outcome 1 Lead as needed in the planning and execution of activities related to the following Outcome 1 intervention areas:
- Intervention 1: Technical assistance to enhance the ability and capacity of the regulatory authority to provide a fair and balanced regulatory environment as well as consistent direction in planning and procurement.
- Intervention 2: Technical assistance for the development and review of Integrated Resource Plans.
- Intervention 3: Technical support to assist in preparation of integrated power systems, transmission, or distribution master plans that look at the entire value chain.
- Intervention 4: Technical assistance to improve the design, implementation, and evaluation of tenders for energy in line with international best practice.
- Intervention 5:Technical assistance to improve legal and regulatory frameworks for natural gas.
The Deputy Outcome 1 lead will support the Outcome 1 lead on an as-needed basis, with the working relationship evolving over time. Anticipated support includes the following:
- Develop Scopes of Work and Budgets: The Deputy Outcome 1 Lead may develop scopes of work and budgets for subcontractors, project personnel, or outside consultants to execute work plan activities, as needed.
- Draft and Review Deliverables: The Deputy Outcome 1 Lead may outline, draft, contribute to and/or review deliverables for technical content and quality, as needed.
- Manage Work Streams: The Deputy Outcome 1 Lead may manage and oversee work streams that align with his/her technical skills, as needed.
- Meet with Counterparts: The Deputy Outcome 1 Lead may meet with counterparts and or manage certain counterpart communications and outreach as needed.
- Coordinate with Project Team: The Deputy Outcome 1 Lead may coordinate activities with other Outcome Leads and/or Country Managers to ensure coordination of activities, as needed.
- Deliver on all PMO reporting and other requirements: The Deputy Outcome 1 Lead may produce all reporting and other requirements as specified by the PMO from time to time, these include but are not limited to the Bi Weekly Reports, Quarterly Reports, Annual Reports, Work Plans and Monitoring and Evaluation Reports.
Minimum Skills, Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Business Operations, Management Science, Accounting/Finance, Law, Energy Policy, or Economics. Master’s degree strongly preferred;
- A minimum of seven (7) years progressive work experience working in a fast paced, complex environment with demonstrated increased responsibility;
- Knowledge of the energy sector – and specifically the power sector – in Southern Africa;
- Prior experience on a donor-funded energy sector project. USAID-funded project preferred;
- Well-organized with a demonstrated understanding of project management concepts, and has the capacity to flex with competing priorities and to meet deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others, driving results across multiple work streams;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and high proficiency in Microsoft Office (e.g., Excel, Project, PowerPoint);
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated capacity to organize information in a manner readily understandable by counterparts and colleagues in both narrative form and in PowerPoint;
- Strong individual initiative, including the ability to take ownership of work and work product, and to motivate others to develop innovative yet implementable solitons and produce high quality deliverables;
- Results-driven, with a strong desire to realize real impact in the region; and
- Ability to travel within the Southern African region.
NOTE: No relocation cost will be covered by Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC or the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP).
Please send a cover letter and a CV (PDF or word format) that includes contact information and three references to [email protected] . Please include the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: by COB Friday, 27 September, 2019