Posted on :
16 Jul, 2014
16 Jul, 2014
The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries intends to award comprehensive bursaries to qualifying applicants pursuing and/or intending
to further their studies in critical scarce skills in the agriculture, forestry and ﬁ sheries sectors for the 2015 academic year. The bursaries will cover
tuition, accommodation, books, meals and monthly allowance. The bursary awards target the previously disadvantaged and impoverished persons
from poverty-stricken and deep rural communities.
Fields of studies
1. B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering (Agricultural Engineering)
2. Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc.)
3. B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology/ Soil Science/Plant Pathology
4. B.Sc. Food Science
5. B.Sc. Plant Pathology
6. B.Sc. Agric Soil Science
7. B.Sc. Agric Agronomy
8. B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science
9. B.Sc. Geo-informatics
10. B.Sc. Marine Biology
11. B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology
12. B.Sc. Ichthyology specialising in Aquaculture
13. National Diploma: Food Technology
14. National Diploma: Forestry
15. National Diploma: Fisheries Resource Management
16. National Diploma: Oceanography
16. Postgraduate studies (B.Tech, B.Sc. Hons, M. Tech., M.Sc., D.Tech. and Ph.D.) in different agriculture, forestry and ﬁ sheries study ﬁelds linked to DAFF priority research projects.
1. It is worth noting that certain study ﬁ elds are only available at certain institutions of higher learning:
• B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering (Agricultural Engineering): University of KwaZulu-Natal
• Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.): University of Pretoria
• B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology/Soil Science/Plant Pathology: University of Stellenbosch
• B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science: University of Stellenbosch
• B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology: University of Cape Town
• B.Sc. Ichthyology specialising in Aquaculture: Rhodes University
• National Diploma: Forestry: Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
• National Diploma: Oceanography: Cape Peninsula University of Technology
• National Diploma: Fisheries Resource Management: Cape Peninsula University of Technology
2. Applicants must be South African citizens.
3. Applicants must complete relevant bursary application forms available online at: www.daff.gov.za (Click the following: Branches, Food Security
and Agrarian Reform, then Sector Education and Training and then Careers).
4. Successful candidates will be informed from 15 January 2015, after the National Bursary Committee has ﬁ nalised the selection process. If you
do not hear from us by the end of January 2015, consider your application to be unsuccessful.
5. All completed bursary application forms together with certiﬁ ed copies of ID and certiﬁ cates/performance results should be sent to the following address:
The Director: Ms Amanda Shokane
Directorate: Sector Education and Training
Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
Private Bag X250
For further enquiries please contact:
Mr Looksharp Makaringi: 012 319 7923
Ms Boitumelo Maleka: 012 319 7024
Mr Frans Setsiba: 012 319 7848
(i) The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries reserves the right to determine the total number of bursary allocations for the academic year based on the total budget available.
(ii) The National Bursary Committee will make use of the Bursary Scheme’s 14-point system to allocate points to shortlisted applicants.
(iii) The Bursary Scheme of the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries is in fulﬁ lment of the sector strategic objective of elimination of skewed participation in the agriculture, forestry and ﬁ sheries sectors.
Closing date for all applications: 30 September 2014