The Development Action Group (DAG) is a leading nonprofit, non-governmental organisation. DAG’s mission is to create, implement and support community-centred developments in order to address economic, social and spatial imbalances.
Job Title: Project Coordinator for the Informal Settlements
Job Location: Cape Town
Start date: As soon as possible
The position will be a one year contract with a three months’ probation period
- In consultation with project team, initiate, lead and coordinate innovative programmes relating to informal settlements and human settlements through strengthening local communities and councillors
- Build and foster stronger community organisation, cohesion and develop the capacity of leadership structures through focused programmes and strategies
- Provide guidance and inputs on technical content relating to informal settlement upgrading, human settlement development and other related social issues
- Assist in managing community dynamics and local politics
- Assist in data collection, mapping and other processes to assist communities in understanding their needs better
- Support DAG in the rollout of the ISSP (Informal Settlement Support Plan) in the Western Cape
- Support local communities in negotiating development and land rights through local council
- Assist project teams in the implementation of small scale pilot projects to demonstrate best practice for informal settlement and human settlement development
- Assist in documentation and write up for case study relating the informal settlements
- Represent DAG in various public and civil society forums
- Relevant degree or Technikon diploma e.g. Urban Planning, Architecture, Social Sciences, Social Development, Development Studies, Geography, Law
- Appropriate experience may be considered in place of a degree or diploma
- Minimum of five years’ experience working in poor communities and informal settlements
- Proven knowledge and awareness of issues relating to housing, land access and poverty
- Knowledge of government policies and human rights law
- Conversant with key stakeholders, concepts and how they relate to the responsibilities of the job
- Previous experience in negotiation and conflict resolution
- Time management, planning and organising skills
- Previous work experience in the urban development sector will be an added advantage
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team are essential
- Verbal and written communication, research and analytical skills are required
- Fluency in English is a prerequisite and knowledge of at least one other South African language is an added advantage
- Valid driver’s licence (own car would be an advantage)
To apply, submit a CV, contact details of three referees and a motivation letter to [email protected], hand deliver at 101 Lower Main Road, Observatory, Cape Town, 7925 or Fax: 021 447 1987
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted within one week of the closing date.
DAG pursues employment equity and will give preference to female, black and disabled candidates.
This position is based in Cape Town, no relocation costs will be covered.
Application Deadline: 26th September, 2018