Metropolitan is one of the oldest financial services brands in South Africa. With a 116 year legacy of serving the communities in which it operates, Metropolitan represents true empowerment in serving Africa’s people through affordable financial solutions that create financial growth and security.
Metropolitan operates in South Africa, but the brand is also present in 9 African countries including, Namibia, Botswana, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria, Lesotho, and Swaziland.
Metropolitan provides financial wellness solutions that meet the needs of low income clients, including funeral insurance, health, savings, hospital cash-back cover, retirement solutions and life insurance.
As an Intermediate DevOps Engineer you will be required to be Proactive and highly analytical with the ability to dig into business requirements to provide hardware and software solutions. Your primary responsibility will be to implement and manage the company’s strategy regarding application infrastructure. You will require experience in working with containerization Docker, Jenkins, Git, OpenShift, Ansible with a strong understanding of DevOps fundamentals and Agile methods and a background in continuous integration(CI) in a distributed(CD) architecture.
- IT-related tertiary qualification / Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field.
- Minimum of 3 years working experience as a DevOps Engineer or equivalent software-engineering role.
- Expert in code deployment.
- Experience in maintaining Java web applications.
- Experience in network, server and application-status monitoring.
- Possesses a strong command of software-automation production systems.
- Exhibit expertise in software development methodologies.
- Working knowledge of Ruby or Python and known DevOps tools like Git and GitHub.
- Working knowledge of databases and SQL.
- Possesses a problem-solving attitude.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND WORK OUTPUTS
- In order to integrate internal systems.
- Ensure code quality, test and distribute code updates.
- Monitor the health and stability of the servers .
- As an automation expert, use tools that automate the development, testing, and integration of software releases/fixes.
- As a release manager, responsible for releasing new features across the organization and making sure those releases are stable.
- As a security officer, continually monitors the product’s (system’s) health and security once the updates are deployed.
- Analyzing production errors to define and create tools that help mitigate problems in the system design stage and applying user-defined integrations, improving the user experience.
- Identifies changes that are necessary to maintain optimal system performance while liaising with management to successfully target and deploy solutions.
- Build and maintain development and production environments to support continued product growth.
- Make use of source control systems (Jenkins, Git).
- Make use of Docker for containerization.
- Work on a majority of different DevOPS toolsets (API gateway, Nexus, Ansible, Jenkins, VMWare, Kibana, Python etc).
- Work with Databases (Hadoop, Spark, Postgres).
- Participate in the processes of strategic project-planning meetings.
- Provide guidance and expertise on system options, risk, impact and costs vs. benefits.
- Create and share operational requirements and development forecasts to allow for timely and accurate planning of projects.
- Developing and building IT solutions.
- Install and configure solutions, implement reusable components, translate technical requirements.
- Assist with all stages of test data, develop interface stubs and simulators and perform script maintenance and updates.
- Use and extend environment and product automation technologies and to support the local development teams work – in production and development environments.
- Build automated deployments through the use of configuration management technology.
- Deploy new modules and upgrades and complete fixes within the production environment.
- Make modules ready for production, which entails moving them according to specific procedures and documenting knowledge transfer.
- Be able to take an existing application and get it up and running in OpenShift.
- Assist product development teams in deployment pipeline development and operations.
- Be part of the escalation path for incidents to ensure fastest possible recoveries.
- Routine application maintenance tasks are an ongoing responsibility that is accomplished via strategy-building techniques.
- Help create requirements and procedures for implementing routine maintenance.
- Troubleshooting existing information systems for errors and resolving those errors.
- Keep a constant eye on changing industry ideas, practices and monitoring emerging technologies.
- Plan, estimate and continuously improve Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment, system designs and processes.
- Evaluate existing applications and platforms.
- Give recommendations for enhancing performance via gap analysis, identifying the most practical alternative solutions and assisting with modifications.
- Manage customer and internal environments within various projects.
- Work with the business to understand and implement complex requirements.
- Business Acumen
- Client/Stakeholder Commitment
- Drive for Results
- Leads Change and Innovation
- Strategic Thinking
- Impact and Influence
- Self-Awareness and Insight
- Diversity and Inclusiveness
- Growing Talent
We reserve the right not to fill the vacancy. Should you not receive any response in respect of your application within 2 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.