Posted on :
8 Jun, 2020
8 Jun, 2020
eNCA: SOUTH AFRICA’S MOST WATCHED TV NEWS CHANNEL. eNCA is South Africa’s most trusted independent TV and online news brand. It launched on June 1st, 2008 to become the country’s first 24-hour television news service.
Job Title: Sub-Editor
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reference: # eNCA088
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: Market Related
Reporting to: the Programme Editor
The purpose of this role is to ensure that news scripts, on-air graphics, boards and crawlers are succinct, accurate and relevant as well as factually correct, contextual, engaging and in line with eNCAs writing style and editorial policy.
•Sub-editing all eNCA content – scripts, graphics, lives, boards and crawlers.
•Ensuring content is succinct, factually accurate, contextual, relevant, engaging, conversational, and in line with eNCAs writing style.
•Thoroughly check scripts and correct errors, inconsistencies and omissions.
•Maintain high standards of spelling and grammar.
•Assisting in updating eNCA style guide.
2.LIASION / CO-ORDINATION
•Liaising with producers, helping them refine story angles and content.
•Attending diary meetings, providing input, story ideas, and feedback.
•Mentoring and train reporters and desk producers
•Assisting programme production teams check content in bulletin rundowns.
•Write and voice local and international stories, if necessary
•Sub-editing headlines and promos.
•Help re-angle stories regularly.
•Reviewing scripts and on-screen text in bulletins.
•Checking wire services and news feeds for breaking news.
•Help decide how best to visually illustrate stories.
Key Performance Indicators:
1. eNCA scripts, graphics, lives and crawlers are checked and subbed quickly, and to a professional and acceptable standard according to the eNCA writing style. The sub-edited content must be succinct, factually accurate and conversational, and of a high UK English spelling and grammatical standard.
2. Communicate respectfully and professionally with the reporter and or writer, helping them to refine angles and treatment of the story.
3. Attend daily diary meetings, providing input on content, story ideas, angles.
4. Adequate mentoring and training of reporters and producers, in order to improve efficiency and script writing.
5. Providing assistance to the programme teams by checking and sub-editing content, including scripts, headlines, promos, graphics, crawlers, etc. Also helping to re-angle stories, and regularly checking wire services and news feeds for breaking news and other developments.
Education: Degree in Journalism (preferred), Communication and Media Studies, Brand Communications Studies or any other relevant qualification
Languages: Business English
Experience: 5 years’ experience in journalism, preferably in electronic broadcast media (preferred) Or as a copywriter in a media environment.
Specific Professional Competencies:
•A good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Outlook and Word, as well as online browsing
•Very good knowledge of social media
•Excellent knowledge of fact-checking processes
•Excellent knowledge of news and current affairs
•Knowledge of SA media law
•Excellent editorial judgment
•Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
•Ability to work under extreme pressure and meet short deadlines
Application Deadline: 12/06/2020
Any problems with registering/uploading your CV, please contact the HR Administrator at email@example.com