Engineering Mentor Careers
CSIR Defence, Peace, Safety and Security (DPSS) has vacancies for four (4) retired engineers who are passionate about the development of future engineers, who will act as Electronic/Mechanical Engineering mentors to a pipeline of science, engineering and technology (SET) candidates. The positions will be based in Pretoria.
To support and grow the development of DPSS SET pipeline candidates and initiatives for future engineers within the unit.
- Attract and support the development of high calibre engineering bursars.
- Participate in outreach initiatives for SET pipeline students and school visits.
- Act as a mentor to junior engineers and students.
- Develop and coordinate a structured vacation training programme in partnership with DPSS engineers.
- Support the development and skills in the following:
- Digital and analogue design including:
- In complex, high-speed digital design
- Programmable logic design using VHDL
- Simulations to verify design functions
- Schematic capture
- Exposure to debugging and verification, which entails:
- Use of state-of-the-art equipment to debug designs
- Formal functional verification
- Formal acceptance testing
- System and sub-system integration
- Complete acceptance test reports
- Configuration and quality management;
- Technical report writing and presentation skills; and
- Induction into the engineering career in the defence industry.
- Provide junior engineers with opportunities to work on real projects.
- Assist with career development of candidate engineers.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in electronic or mechanical engineering.
- Extensive engineering experience.
- Extensive knowledge of engineering design, system engineering tools and engineering projects.
- Registered as a professional engineer with ECSA.
- A valid driver’s licence.
- Ability to mentor and guide junior engineers.
- Ability to delegate projects to junior engineers.
- Good communication skills.
- Good presentation skills.
- Ability to travel nationally.
- Flexible working hours can be arranged.
How to Apply to Engineering Mentor Careers
Click on the “Apply Now” button or on this link to apply online
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at [email protected]. Please do not submit your application to this mailbox.
The CSIR gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.