FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology, creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. We are currently seeking qualified candidates to fill the proposal position below:
Job Position: Economic Strengthening Advisor
Job Location: Maseru, Lesotho
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Economic Strengthening Advisor for an anticipated USAID-funded Activity aimed at preventing new HIV infections and reducing vulnerability among orphans and vulnerable children (OVC), adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) in Berea, Leribe, Mafeteng, Maseru and Mohale’s Hoek districts of Lesotho.
The Economic Strengthening Advisor will provide technical expertise and oversight to the development of all economic strengthening interventions for OVC and AGYW for the project, in close coordination with the Project Director and other technical staff. The Advisor will train and build the capacity of local implementing partners and community-based organizations to deliver household economic strengthening interventions.
The position requires comprehensive understanding of and significant experience in the areas of household economic strengthening and livelihoods with skills in capacity building and technical assistance provision. Experience working with OVC and AGYW is required.
The Economic Strengthening Advisor will provide management leadership of day-to-day operations of the economic strengthening program, including management functions such as work planning, monitoring and evaluation, overseeing a team of economic strengthening staff, activity budgeting and local implementing partner relations.
Recruitment is contingent upon USAID’s release of a solicitation for this Activity and successful award of the project to the FHI 360 team. Selection of the final applicant may also subject to USAID approval.
Key Responsibilities and Contributions:
- Collaborate with project technical leadership to assist the Project Director with supervision and management of all program activities while working together to identify issues and risks related to project implementation in a timely manner, and provide technical suggestions.
- Supervise Economic Strengthening Technical Officers and ensure that all training/mentoring proceeds with high technical fidelity to the project’s economic strengthening model.
- Promote linkages and complementarities between similar donor funded projects and facilitate relationships between partners, market actors and organizations with special expertise in HES activities, including microfinance agencies, vocational institutes, and microenterprise institutes, and relevant donor-funded programs.
- Engage in regular monitoring visits to evaluate the success of economic strengthening activities.
- Develop/produce contractual deliverables (quarterly, annual, field project evaluations, etc.) in conjunction with other key staff and external evaluators
- Set up and sustain the project’s apprenticeship program.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with government and relevant stakeholders (at national and district levels),
- Maintain regular communication with implementing partners to monitor rollout of economic strengthening component.
- Other tasks and duties as assigned.
- Advanced University degree in economics, economic development, international development, or related field of study; Master’s Degree or higher preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible experience working on international development issues.
- Technical expertise and minimum of 5 years of experience specific to livelihoods development, including strong knowledge and experience with savings groups
- Familiarity with local institutions relevant to economic strengthening, such as microfinance institutions, microenterprise training institutions, vocational training programs, and relevant government agencies, such as Micro and Small Enterprise Development Agency (MSEDA)
- Experience working with OVC
- Experience with programming for AGYW
- Experience in providing training to local implementing partners, government units and other stakeholders
- At least 5 years of management experience, including direct supervision of technical and support staff, and assembling teams working in multifaceted and complex international development programs.
- Experience working with a diverse set of stakeholders such as local partners, government officials, and donor representatives.
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated experience in the use of training and information dissemination to transfer concepts and skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Ability and willingness to travel to program areas and internationally as required.
- Ability to liaise with government, non-government and donor partner senior officials
- Familiarity with USAID or other US Government administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills, initiative, demonstrated team leadership and problem-solving abilities.
How to Apply:
FHI 360 has a competitive compensation package and is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates are encouraged to email their CV/resume and cover letter to Applications can be submitted online, https://www.fhi360.org/careers
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.
Application Deadline: 13th July, 2018