The Splicer is responsible to Build and Maintenance of the company’s fibre network in the allocated Cell within a region. Ensure a resilient & stable network for current & future customers by attending to breaks, maintenance, routes and link build. Compile of various reports for the Area Network Owner.
Splicer spends 95% of their daily working hours in the field to perform maintenance on the network. The work requires a lot of driving as well as irregular working hours & overtime. Health and Safety is a big factor in the daily operations of the Splicer
- N1 – N3 Certificate / Grade 12
- Registration as an FOA Splicer (5-day course) is highly recommended
- 3 years’ technical experience in the Optical Fibre environment (Construction & Maintenance)
- Knowledge of test equipment (OTDR) and Health & Safety is recommended
- Problem solving individuals with a competitive nature will stand out above the peers
- Must have driver’s license
Key Performance Areas & Tasks:
Effective Implementation – route & fibre build:
- Splice new customer up on network – Receive site instructions / Go & build the link (if there are any changes on SI get ref. from planning)
- Return site instructions to Project Manager to arrange for ATP to client
Network Maintenance – Availability & MTTR:
- Ensure availability of the network in the specific cell is at 99.98%
- Ensure repairs are done with- in the 4 hour Service Level Agreement (SLA) in the specific cell
- Resolve all breaks in the area within the set SLA agreement (4 hours)
- Maintain hand holes and routes on a daily basis (cleaning, numbering, slack management and label-ling)
- Slack: Slack bracket – route cables and label cables
- Identify weak spots & breaks in the network that are high risk – Identify high traffic routes (check diversity) / Protect weak spots until it can be rectified, not allowing access / Rectify / remedy cutting over cables and / or cut-ting in new joints
- Maintain shortest timelines between temporary and permanent repairs: Use shortest time to get client to work (to meet SLA)
- Get contractor to float new cable in conjunction with PMO
- Apply for cut over reference to make permanent re-pairs (on laptop and send information to change management with proposal)
- (Obtain data from client when to permanently repair)
- In the event that joints are not up to standard & ducts are damaged:
- Go on-site to observe and to decide what to do for example – Float cable to get site up to standard / Gather all on-site information / Decide whether to request Contractor to float cables
- Apply for a cut over reef (cut cable & make new joint)
- If damaged, establish nature of damage get the relevant information off the contractor involved & also whether clients are involved. Fix and protect.
- Manage the identified high traffic routes
- Manage protected weak spots until it can be rectified, not allowing access
- Manage rectify / remedy cutting over cables and / or cutting in new joints
Health & Safety Compliance:
- Adheres to all the safety policies as defined by the EH&S Act & the company’s policies regarding Safety.
- Attends all the schedule training interventions on Traffic Management and EH&S
***Correspondence will only be conducted with shortlisted candidates. Should you not hear from us within 5 days, please consider you application as unsuccessful.
How to Apply
Click here to apply online
Apply online before 07/11/2015.
Please note that Recruiters may delete or expire jobs at any time.