The Foundation for Human Rights (the Foundation) is a grant making institution supporting civil society organisations in South Africa and the region that implement programmes which promote and protect human rights. The Foundation’s mission is to address the historical legacy of apartheid, to promote and advance transformation in our country and to build a human rights culture using the Constitution as a tool.
Job Title: Media and Communications Manager (including Social Media)
Job Location: South Africa
Purpose of the job:
Manage and coordinate all external communications and manage all social media platforms for FHR Job Objectives
- Developing and implementing the media and communications strategy for all FHR’s programmes
- Leading the strategies for and manage FHR’s social media platforms
- Websites management and websites content management for the FHR
- Publications – where assigned
- Taking part in or leading project design process to ensure all FHR projects have a strong digital engagement, social media component
- Tertiary qualifications in Media, Journalism or other relevant fields.
- A degree in the above mentioned fields will be an added advantage.
- Proven experience in Media, Communications – especially in Social Media management
- Working knowledge of, and commitment to, human rights especially in South African context
- Strong knowledge of media monitoring, research and analysis, online measurement and report generation
- Proven experience in providing monthly media and social media reports including coverage and trends
- Proven work experience of minimum 4-5 years in managing social media contents and strategies
- Online campaigning experience with a non-profit is an advantage
- Awareness and knowledge of media landscape i.e. daily news, current affairs, television, radio
- Knowledge of and experience with Photoshop and production of visual materials
- Proven experience in writing and editing press releases, articles, stories and opinion pieces
- Manage and respond to media enquiries
Knowledge and Skills
- General knowledge of design and visual trends to create visually, engaging and appealing posts
- Proven track record in social media account growth, preferably in the non-profit sector
- Experience in social media goal setting, strategy and execution
- Understanding of and commitment and sensitivity to human rights issues
- Ability to meet deadlines and respond quickly and effectively under pressure
- Social media advertising skills
- Blogging knowledge and skills
- Basic knowledge of graphic design
- Knowledge of social media storytelling (use of images, video, text to tell a compelling story)
- Fluency in English.
- Knowledge of other local South African languages is an advantage.
- This is a fixed-term position without any expectation of renewal or permanent employment.
- FHR reserves the right to cancel the position should the needs of the FHR change or should we regard the applications to be inadequate for its needs.
- To apply, submit a CV along with all relevant educational and or training certificates to the email address [email protected]
- Deadline for all application submissions is 16 June 2019.
- Late and incomplete applications will not be considered for the position.
- Only suitable qualified candidates will be considered.
- Provide three traceable references
Application Deadline: Sunday, 16 June, 2019