Metropolitan is one of the oldest financial services brands in South Africa. With a 116 year legacy of serving the communities in which it operates, Metropolitan represents true empowerment in serving Africa’s people through affordable financial solutions that create financial growth and security. Metropolitan operates in South Africa, but the brand is also present in 12 African countries including, Namibia, Botswana, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria, Lesotho, and Swaziland. Metropolitan provides financial wellness solutions that meet the needs of low income clients, including funeral insurance, health, savings, hospital cash-back cover, retirement solutions and life insurance.
As a Senior Developer you will work in a team alongside a group of talented multi-skilled professionals to deliver a world class web and mobile experience to support our clients and advisers. You will see and experience the results of your hard work as our agile methodology allows us to implement and improve constantly and iteratively.
The Senior Developer role is accountable for developing, maintaining and supporting a portfolio of software applications that meet Metropolitan’s business requirements. He/she will partner with key roles (e.g. enterprise architects, project managers, business analysts, testers, UI and copywriting specialists, etc..) to create well-defined solutions that are aligned to Metropolitan’s enterprise architecture and business strategy and leverage common solutions and services, to meet key project goals.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND WORK OUTPUTS
- Collaborate with stakeholders to gather requirements, conduct analysis and prioritise requests.
- Translate business requirements into workable solutions and document solution into technical specifications.
- Design and code new software functionality using codes that is readable, maintainable and re-usable.
- Provide client with regular feedback on the technical design and timelines for solution.
- Collaborate with business analysts and testing team in developing, testing and deploying new software system components or software system enhancements.
- Collaborate with testing team to co-create test cases.
- Conduct System Integration Testing (SIT) and User Acceptance Testing (UAT) and resolve all issues/queries.
- Contribute to user acceptance testing (UAT) and training [URL Removed] the solution has been successfully tested, transport the solution into production/live environment.
- Maintain existing programmes according to change requests.
- Monitor performance of solutions and make recommendations to improve the performance and functionality of the solution.
- Log issues found in existing systems as internal change controls and ensure successful resolution of issues.
- Developing solutions that support Retails value chain and align to the overall enterprise architecture of MMH where applicable.
- Engagement with various stakeholdersServe as the “go to”, offering in-depth knowledge of solution development, best practices and standards outcome.
- Identifies opportunities and take advantage of them, Able to understand the bigger picture and how your team and you contribute to the success of the business.
- Alignment with all areas of Retail IT to ensure that there is good integration between the current and future environments, and that current systems remain stable.
- Align with current IT trends and technologies. EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- IT degree/3 year Diploma
- 5 years + development experience
- Has shown a track record of adopting to new technologies
- Has a track record of developing large systems without supervision
- Has a track record of being respected by his/her peers as subject matter expert in his/her respective field of technology
- Knowledge of the Software Development Lifecycle
- Up to date with the latest trends and [URL Removed] worked with an agile development teams focused on test and learn strategies.
- Enjoy wearing multiple hats within the User Centred Design space
BE PROFICIENT IN THE FOLLOWING
- Java EE
- Liberty and Datapower is an advantage.
We reserve the right not to fill this vacancy.