The Global Campaign for Education (GCE) founded in 1999, is a global civil society movement working to end the education crisis. GCE members bring together civil society organisations, NGOs, teacher unions, child rights activists, parents’ associations, young people and community organisations who work together in coalition in nearly 100 countries.
GCE promotes education as a basic human right, mobilises the public to put pressure on governments and the international community to fulfil their promises to provide free, compulsory, high quality public education for all.
Job Title: Communications Officer
Job Location: Johannesburg
Salary Range: R325,000 to R375,000 CTC
Reporting to: Head of Campaigns and Communications
Employment Type: Fixed-term contract with possibility of renewal, to commence ASAP until 31st December 2019
Job purpose: To input into the development of communication strategies for GCE publicly, for the GCE membership and with GCE partners and to work with the Head of Communications to deliver internal and external communications to further the achievement of the strategic and political objectives of the Global Campaign for Education and its members.
Duties and responsibilities:
Internal & Members Communications:
- Production of all GCE internal publications including newsletters
- Support the dissemination of shared learning within the network.
- Write and create all members emails.
- Maintain and update GCE’s membership and partner data to ensure effective communications with all stakeholders.
- Support the logistical processes and branding for GCE member events.
Publications & Content production
- Support the production of GCE official publications, including design and proof-reading where required
- Oversee the translation of all communications materials in each of GCE’s five official languages.
- Ensure that communication material produced adheres to editorial policies and are in line with the identity guidelines across all platforms.
- Support the production of GCE’s film/video communications.
- Responsible for the delivery of GCE’s digital communications, including updating the content of the GCE websites, social media and compiling GCE newsletters.
- Ensure incoming emails and messages are answered to in a timely manner.
- Maintain and update key journalists contact database.
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists, bloggers, and other stakeholders that will help advance our work.
- Propose and write press release, opeds, media statement, factsheets and Q&A.
- Report on media monitoring and coverage analysis
Qualifications and Key Competencies:
- A commitment to GCE’s core values, principles and mission to promote the right to education.
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, journalism/public information, communication or other related fields
- 3 to 4 years of experience in communications and media relations.
- Proven experience in managing social media platforms and expertise in digital communications (including websites, emailing and newsletters).
- Proven experience working with the media.
- Proven ability to manage relationships with media representatives and GCE members and Partners
- Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
- An understanding of grassroots civil society activism, especially networks and the ability to motivate and engage staff and individuals from diverse coalition member organizations.
- Cultural sensitivity, ability to work with colleagues in different locations and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and strong writing and communication skills.
- Competency in one or more of GCE’s other official languages – Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese, French.
- Excellent interpersonal skills over email, by phone and in person.
- Ability to work within tight deadlines, deliver on time and to prioritize a complex workload.
- Self-starter, autonomous and able to manage own workload efficiently.
- At least two years’ experience at the international level or an international organisation
- Working knowledge of design software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and basing coding skills (HTML)
- Working knowledge of video editing software.
- Existing network of contacts in the field of global and/or regional education policy.
- Experience of working in global networks or coalitions.
- Experience of working with GCE member coalitions.
For further information on GCE, please visit our website: www.campaignforeducation.org. To apply for this position, please submit your application letter both in English and another language of your choice within the GCE official languages (Arabic, French, Portuguese or Spanish) and a CV (2 pages maximum), including at least two references, to [email protected]. Please indicate the job title you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
- GCE is an equal opportunity organisation and everyone is encouraged to apply.
- Please note that due to high volumes of applications that we receive, only complete applications will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- GCE reserves the right to shortlist and interview on a rolling basis and in that case the job advert may be withdrawn at any time from job sites without notification.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, 2 July, 2019