Posted on :
1 Dec, 2016
1 Dec, 2016
CALS is looking for a candidate attorney to join our team in Jan 2017 to work across the range of CALS’ programmes which include Basic Services, Business and Human Rights, Environmental Justice, Gender and the Rule of Law.
The Centre for Applied Legal Studies (CALS) is a leading human rights centre in the Wits Law School which undertakes research, strategic litigation, and public interest advocacy.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· An LLB or equivalent degree
· A demonstrated interest in human rights work and social justice
· A strong interest in research as a component of lawyering
· Good oral and written communication skills in English
· Proficiency in other South African languages will be an advantage
· Proficiency in MS Office
· Assisting in strategic litigation cases
· Research in support of advocacy and litigation activities
· Conducting field research in communities
· Drafting pleadings and legal opinions
· Assisting in the drafting of research reports
· Providing input into draft policies and legislation
· Preparing documents for, and appearing in, court
· Liaison with clients, counsel and partners
· Representing CALS in civil society forums
HOW TO APPLY
1. A covering letter motivating why you have the necessary qualifications, skills and experience for this position as well as the names and contact details of 2 referees;
2. A detailed CV;
3. An academic transcript; and
4. A writing sample of no longer than 5 pages
using Wits’ online portal at Click Here to ONLINE PORTAL
Please note that we are looking for candidates who wish to pursue a career in social justice in particular rather than just securing articles.
Individuals from previously and currently disadvantaged population groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The University reserves the right not to appoint if suitable candidates are not found.
CLOSING DATE: 6 JANUARY 2017.